Got my TF-100 Kit - How are these results?

but even our pavers without being sealed will slowly be eaten away over time.
Untrue. But you can believe what you wish.

Your pool water salinity will approach that needed for a SWCG in a little over a year using liquid chlorine. Unless you drain your pool every year, which I doubt in SoCal.

In your neck of the woods chlorine is an everyday experience. Corrosion is non exsistiant and what ever will get corrosion with the SWCG will get it from chlorine as they are basically one in the same at the end of the day. There are hundreds of SWCG pool members here without the corrosion you speak of.

Reactions: Mdragger88
In your neck of the woods chlorine is an everyday experience. Corrosion is non exsistiant and what ever will get corrosion with the SWCG will get it from chlorine as they are basically one in the same at the end of the day. There are hundreds of SWCG pool members here without the corrosion you speak of.
Got it. So maybe it’s time to fire that SWCG up.

I’m assuming I need to get my CYA down and everything else in order first or can I just make this switch? I’m not gonna ask my pool guy!

Salinity is super low - I get that - but no long term corrosion impacts at all?

Thanks all.

Chlorine is a daily need as it is continuously consumed so a swg takes those daily additions off your hands. Frequent testing & monitoring is still necessary to be sure you never fall below minimum for your cya level. FC/CYA Levels
You have the ability to make your own fresh chlorine in your backyard ! You’ve been holding out on us. What swg do you have? Plz add it to your signature.
A cya of 60-80 is acceptable & somewhat necessary for a swg pool as they produce fc slowly over time so more protection from the sun is needed. So that’s good news for you - less water to exchange! The salinity requirement is usually around 3000-3500ppm but it varies for different swg’s. You need the Taylor k-1766 to go along with your tf100/Taylor k2006 to accurately test your salt level before adding or firing the swg up.

Untrue. But you can believe what you wish.

Your pool water salinity will approach that needed for a SWCG in a little over a year using liquid chlorine. Unless you drain your pool every year, which I doubt in SoCal.

@mknauss Can you expand on this statement. Are you saying that over 1 year that the salinity levels in SWCG and NON-SWCG pools are roughly equivalent ?

Are you saying that over 1 year that the salinity levels in SWCG and NON-SWCG pools are roughly equivalent
For possible corrosive/erosion purposes, yes.

Check the label on your bleach. 'Sodium Hyperchlorite' and you'll be adding some daily. It doesn't take long to be 5%-7% of seawater salinity. The 'salt pool' is 10% so the entire argument against salt hinges on the 3%-5% difference being harmful, while still being 90% less salinity than seawater.

Reactions: stinsontx
@mknauss Can you expand on this statement. Are you saying that over 1 year that the salinity levels in SWCG and NON-SWCG pools are roughly equivalent ?
As you are not the OP - it will vary for you. You live in Houston. It rains in Houston. You get overflow, and use little fill water. So your level of salinity will not rise as high as someone whom lives in So Cal, where it does not rain as much, and they get no overflow, and they use lots of fill water.

So, not trying to hijack this post but it is a testing discussion....should then a salinity test be considered as standard practice for anyone using the TFP methodology and not using SWCG equipment? If yes, how often to test?

So, not trying to hijack this post but it is a testing discussion....should then a salinity test be considered as standard practice for anyone using the TFP methodology and not SWCG? If so, how often to test?
No. Salt level means little to water chemistry or equipment until it goes well above 5000 ppm. And at that level, everyone normally can taste it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.