Got my taylor test kit, these are my readings, help?

Jul 24, 2018
Somerville, NJ
I just received my Taylor test kit k-2006 + Salt test. I went thru and tested everything, these are my readings, what do i need to adjust and how. Thank You.
I have a 20x40 free form lagoon shape, vinyl liner with a T-15 SWG and Sand Filter + heater. The pool has been up and running since April, but havent had any issues since the initial load of chemicals once it was completed, but i have been noticing something off with it recently and the ph was low, so i raised that, but what else is off? Please help, i am a new pool owner and have really just been adding salt as needed.

FC = 2
CC = 0
PH = 7.8
TA = 60
CH = 120
CYA = 30
Salt = 3100
Temp = 85

Welcome to the forum!
I moved your pool info to your signature. If you can expand on that, including the pump detail, that would be great.
For a SWCG pool, your CYA is quite low and your FC is much too low. I suggest adding 30 ppm worth of CYA and following the FC/CYA Levels for the resulting CYA level.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I see you think something is off. Before adding CYA, let us know what the water looks like. Is it cloudy?

Good choice on TF100 and TFP! ?
Actually, looks your results look good for just starting out!
These folks will help you fine tune and save you a lot of heartache, time and $.

If you smell chlorine, that is CC. So monitor that.

What are using to drop the pH? Normal water does not have a dropping pH. Also, do not use the pool store products. pH up is Soda Ash most likely. Just use normal household products. It will save you money. Baking soda, borax, or washing soda, as needed. See Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome to the forum!
I moved your pool info to your signature. If you can expand on that, including the pump detail, that would be great.
For a SWCG pool, your CYA is quite low and your FC is much too low. I suggest adding 30 ppm worth of CYA and following the FC/CYA Levels for the resulting CYA level.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
So what is the best way to add 30 PPM of CYA, is that like 4pounds of dry conditioner? also do you think i should lower the PH or wait till after the cya adjusts?

Once you confirm you do not have a water chemistry issue (OCLT), then add the CYA using the sock method.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.