gopher problem

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
so i’ve been at war with a gopher(s) for the last few days. it likes digging around the pool deck, leaving piles of dirt all over. i’ve watched several youtube videos which show how to find the tunnels to gassing them with a pipe hooked to your lawn equipment or using a road flare. one tip using ammonia and chlorine down the hole.

anybody have some reasonable ideas?

so i’ve been at war with a gopher(s) for the last few days. it likes digging around the pool deck, leaving piles of dirt all over. i’ve watched several youtube videos which show how to find the tunnels to gassing them with a pipe hooked to your lawn equipment or using a road flare. one tip using ammonia and chlorine down the hole.

anybody have some reasonable ideas?
I know down in the OKC area, there are folks that will trap them. I haven't (knock on wood) had any issues but some of my neighbors swear by the trapper folks. The going rate is about $20 per gopher.

Reactions: jmikeb
caddyshack.jpg

Reactions: Newdude and jmikeb
We spent months trying every available DIY gopher ridder. Some had truly comical results, like the flare thing shooting out of the hole and up in the air like a rocket, followed by me running for a garden hose to put out the fire.

Don't waste your time and money like we did. Nothing works except lethal traps set by someone who knows what they're doing.

Gophers....Hate em and have alot of them. They decimate my grass during their active season. I have used these traps with good results. Gopher Hawk GH-SET14 20" Spring Loaded Snare Style Gopher & Mole Trapping Set - Walmart.com

pros: only have to make small hole to place trap

cons: the pvc tool is Crud breaks after awhile - my brother is a machinist and made me a 4 foot metal tool with a place to step on the side of it so I dont have to get on my hands and knees to make the hole for the trap!

We just got rid of one with one of those gas bombs. Made sure it was an active hole. Pulled the pin dropped it in and covered the hole. Its dead as far as we know. No holes or tunnels since. We tried the poison route first without success but the gas bomb deff worked first try.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
The older gopher gassers put off arsenic IIRC and were really effective. That has been banned. The new ones are hit or miss. But the bleach and ammonia in the hole idea is worth trying. Make sure it's active and seal off the end you dump the chemicals off. Use a lot. Be careful. Get out of there fast.

Do NOT mix ammonia and bleach together. The mixture creates toxic gasses that can actually kill you and your pets.

Maybe @JoyfulNoise would be willing to comment further on the chemical reactions and hazards.

Honestly I’ve been dealing with ground squirrels (prairie dogs) for years and you’re only hope is exclusion - fencing off an area and keeping them out. There are far too many of them and too few of you. You have no possibility of killing them all (short of an infinity gauntlet and a snap of your finger) and your efforts will be a waste of energy. Exclude their food source and bring in a natural predator, that’s it.

One thing I will say is this - NEVER USE POISON BAIT!

Poison bait is an absolute danger to children and household pets. As well, poison bait never kills instantly and, when the gopher becomes sick, it will wander outside its but burrow and become easily predated. This will lead to a secondary kill of its direct predator, and possibly the predator’s offspring, thus reducing the predators population and actually INCREASING the target creatures population. Here in the desert we have dozens of cases every year of owls and hawks that get killed through secondary poisoning. Pack rats and ground squirrels can gestate multiple times per year whereas their predators will gestate on a few times over multiple years. Thus, one poisoned rat can wipe out the predator population leaving its fellows free to flourish. Poison is not ever helpful.

And yes, mixing bleach and ammonia is dumb. It creates chloramine mostly which will make you very sick. Given the vigorous and uncontrolled nature of the reaction, pouring the chemicals down the hole is a sure fire way to get yourself hurt and/or sent to the ER for resuscitation and oxygen therapy.

I forgot to mention an exclusion method which works pretty well: underground fence. We had our gardeners sink hardware cloth 18 inches into the ground all around our fence line. Some of it is above ground, too. Keeps out rodents and snakes. It's not 100% critter-proof because there are some gaps at the gates, but our critter population is probably 10-15% of what it used to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It works outside but you need to be able to get out fast. Unfortunately you need to have a poison gas for the gassing out to work, and all of the gopher gassers now just asphyxiate. The good ones voluntarily went off the market in the late 90's.

Doing bleach and ammonia outside is like lightning a fuse and running. It can be done safely outside, but if you don't know how, don't do it. If you poison gas out a gopher it dies underground and does not poison predators.

I would mention Diesel fuel and a flame too, but obviously this needs to be left to the pros too. These are all Iowa farm tricks as well, and might get you in trouble in the burbs if you don't know what you are doing.

Live trapping can work too, but they will come back if you don't relocate them over 20 miles away, so the most effective way at that point is to drown them in the trap instead. Sorry, but this is how you get rid of critters permanently.

Gophers....Hate em and have alot of them. They decimate my grass during their active season. I have used these traps with good results. Gopher Hawk GH-SET14 20" Spring Loaded Snare Style Gopher & Mole Trapping Set - Walmart.com

pros: only have to make small hole to place trap

cons: the pvc tool is Crud breaks after awhile - my brother is a machinist and made me a 4 foot metal tool with a place to step on the side of it so I dont have to get on my hands and knees to make the hole for the trap!
just got my first gopher with Gopher Hawk?
thanks for the suggestion !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.