Good pumps/filters (that are in stock / not ridiculously price-gouged)?

BobStrauss

Apr 19, 2021
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, everyone! I'm just another yuppie putting together a stock tank pool in his backyard, something I've been wanting to do for almost a year now. I was hoping that 2020 would be the peak of the pricing/availability madness, and that there'd be a return to some level of normalcy. But I'm still having difficulty finding the pumps I'm interested in at reasonable prices (not marked up 3x).

For instance, the Intex 26643EG (10" Sand filter pump, 1200 gph, 24 hr automatic timer) would seem idea), but it seems gross having to pay some guy on eBay or an amazon shipper 3x MSRP in order to get one. Are there other brands out there less popularly known but equally good that would fit my application - 700 gallon stock tank? And be less price-gouged than the Intex pumps?

Welcome to TFP.

Call Inyopools and see what they have available that works for you.

Reactions: BobStrauss

It's not great, at all, but for affordably filtering 700 gals it should be perfectly adequate, as long as the water chemistry is good. It will choke if you try to make it deal with algae.

Thanks for the recommendations! I was thinking of going with sand vs a cartridge filter. I've heard the cartridge ones like Intex have to be checked really frequently (sometimes daily with use?) and swapped out every week.

That looks good, still massively oversized but at 1/3hp about as small as you can get from a full size pool filter system.

It doesn't have a pump filter basket which is odd. Not necessarily a problem depending on whether you expect leaves or objects to go down the suction line. Depends on what your plans are for the suction port and whether it will have a strainer.

Are pump filter baskets standard with most of these? I certainly do expect leaves to fall in, so it's probably something I should include. Maybe something like these? https://www.amazon.com/Bestway-Flowclear-1500gal-Sand-Filter/dp/B07M6ZDNNL/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=sand+filter+pump&qid=1619005432&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-8&th=1

Last edited:
Yes that one does but then you're back into the Intex style system in which case I'd go with the cheap one I linked for now until the sand filters come back down to MSRP. For such a small pool those cheap cartridge filters that everybody hates on large pools might actually be perfectly adequate.

Whichever way you go, I think you should consider the pump and filter as part of a whole plumbing plan, including your suction and return fittings and lines, rather than just buy something and figure the rest out later.

Are pump filter baskets standard with most of these? I certainly do expect leaves to fall in, so it's probably something I should include. Maybe something like these? https://www.amazon.com/Bestway-Flowclear-1500gal-Sand-Filter/dp/B07M6ZDNNL/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=sand+filter+pump&qid=1619005432&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-8&th=1

I would go with something like the CIPU one you linked to. That way you can use standard above ground pool stuff and not the intex/bestway stuff that doesn't work with the standard accessories.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.