Gonna get a new pool built. Any tips?

Jun 7, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I need ideas for my future pool.

I'm getting a new pool built. I already have 2 quotes from 40k to 44k.

I'm thinking of going with salt chlorinator, cartridge filter, concrete pool with white plaster, easy touch controls

I'm a pool operator and I've only dealt with commercial pools with trichlor

What are the pros and cons of SWCG pools? Should I do cartridge or sand?

Any regrets and wishes you had done to your pool when it was being built?

I'm also thinking of heating it via solar. Just have them run the pipes with stubs so I can add it myself later..

I've also heard of heating the pool via the AC condenser?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Pool and equipment choices seem limitless, but we can help give you some ideas. Below are some links to help. I would say go with cartridge to save on water usage in your area. Get a large 4-cart filter. As for heating your pool, it's all a personal choice. SWGs, those who have them love them. Biggest CON probably the upfront cost, but if the cell lasts for 4-5 years it should pay for itself in chlorine (jugs). Once you get some quotes and equipment lists, post back in a new thread (construction sub-forum) and we'll take a look.

PC,

If I built a hundred more pools, they would all be saltwater pools with large cartridge filters...

I am sure an EasyTouch will do what you want, but I suggest that you also look at the Pentair IntelliCenter which is a much better automation system for almost the same price.

Since you are going with Pentair automation, you will also need the IntelliFlo VS pump, and IC40 IntelliChlor SWCG.. It always makes sense to use the same brand of equipment for the automation, the SWCG and for the VS pump. You need a VS pump to reduce your electrical use as you will have to run the pump longer to generate the amount of chlorine you will need in AZ.

Note that the smaller SuperFlo VS can not "talk" to any Pentair automation...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi PC!,
We are in LV also.

IMO, cartridge is the way to go here. In the past 20+ years, I have built 2, #3 is under construction now, and maintained 2 more, all in LV, all with cartridge filters. Used sand and then DE on AG vinyl pools back east. For a properly set up and balanced pool, I feel its the best option in the desert.

Check out the variable speed pumps, lots of offerings out there. I was a Hayward only for many years but now use Pentair. Recommend keeping it all the same which ever way you go, as mentioned by Jim.

Depending on the location of your roof, you will likely get good return on the investment of solar. I would recommend putting it in at the start. I did not on a previous build and regretted it for years. Depending on your water temp preferences, you may wish to add a gas heater as well. Just depends on what you want out of it in terms of swim season and personal prefs for water temp.

We are going with SWG and forgoing all of the UV/Ozone thats currently being pushed here. Many thanks to TFP for making that an easy choice!

Skimmer location, plumbing size, distance to pad, etc... should all be vetted here, IMO. Many PBs in Vegas do what's easy for them, not necessary the most efficient or best for you or the pool. They are not all bad by any means, BUT shop carefully, ask lots of questions and learn everything you can here to make the best choice for you.

I've also heard of heating the pool via the AC condenser?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.