Goldline Aqua Rite SWCG Troubleshooting

This morning I checked on the system and unfortunately the check salt and inspect cell lights were on (solid) and the display showed 1900. I turned it off and back on and went to the instant salinity which was -3600. I recalibrated the system and its back to generating. Something is definitely screwy with my system!

This morning I checked on the system and unfortunately the check salt and inspect cell lights were on (solid) and the display showed 1900. I turned it off and back on and went to the instant salinity which was -3600. I recalibrated the system and its back to generating. Something is definitely screwy with my system!

Does the no flow light come on when the pump is off?

The SWG needs to be unpowered when the pump is off.

You can do this by putting the SWG on a timer and setting the timer to be off when the pump is scheduled to turn off.

If the swg is powered when the pump is off, the no flow light should come on.

If the SWG generates while the pump is off, the cell can explode.

Thanks James! I just discovered that when my variable pump was installed they removed the clips off the sundial/clock that was used to turn the pump and thus the SWG on/off. Since the new pump has its own clock it automatically turns on and off at the programmed time. However, as a result, it looks like the line to the SWG is always hot and on. I think if I buy some of those clips that attached to the metal clock, and set them to the programed time on the pump, that should solve the problem?

Thanks James! I just discovered that when my variable pump was installed they removed the clips off the sundial/clock that was used to turn the pump and thus the SWG on/off. Since the new pump has its own clock it automatically turns on and off at the programmed time. However, as a result, it looks like the line to the SWG is always hot and on. I think if I buy some of those clips that attached to the metal clock, and set them to the programed time on the pump, that should solve the problem?

Is your VS pump wired to the LINE or the LOAD side of the timer?

You don't want the timer turning the VS pump on and off with the SWG.

Forgive me, as I am not sure what the load side is or if the way Leslie's wired this is correct. However, I took some pictures. The pool pump and the SWG each have a blue wire that goes to the far right post. There are no clips on the timer and so its always hot (I assume). If I move the red handle in the photo to the left it turns off power to pump and SWG. Should I put the clips back on the timer and set it to the time that the pool pump is programmed to come on? I really appreciate everyone's help as this is has been frustrating for me. All indications are that the flow switch works. I think the issue was SWG had power but when pumps turned off during the night I got the error light. Thanks!

Pool.jpgPool 1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Terminals 1 and 3 are your Line terminals. Terminals 2 and 4 are the load terminals. The pump should be on the line terminals so that the pump is always powered. The SWG should be on the Load terminals so that the SWG is only powered when the pump is on. Set the timer to turn on while the pump is scheduled to turn on

Does the flow switch work?

How much is the voltage fluctuating when the cell is generating?

There are two timers. The second timer was originally used for the pool sweep. However, I use a robotic sweep now, and that timer isn't used. So I should move the blue pump wire to terminal 1 and leave the blue SWG where it is on terminal four? Then set the timer to activate during the hours of the pump? Volts are 24.9 while generating and 32.2 with switch off.

Last edited:
Move the two pump wires from terminals 2 and 4 to terminals 1 and 3.

Leave the two SWG wires on terminals 2 and 4.

Make sure that you understand exactly what you're doing before changing the wires.

If the voltage is relatively steady while generating, the thermistor is probably ok.

Does the SWG flow switch work?

I will move those wires and then put the timer clips on to match the pool pump run time. I think the flow switch is fine; at least I don't get a "no flow" light. For the pool pump, do I move the wire from terminal 2 to 1 and the blue from 4 to 3?

Last edited:
Okay. Wires switched. Now the pool pump turns on based on the time set on the variable pump, not the timer. The SWG is set to the timer and only comes on during the hours of the pump. I confirmed the flow switch is working properly. So far, so good. The salt still shows 3600 but it's generating and not turning off, which is good! The top of the SWG box is still warm to the touch, so I am not sure if that's normal or not. I can't thank everyone enough.

Reactions: setsailsoon
The top of the SWG box is still warm to the touch, so I am not sure if that's normal or not.

That is normal. The heat is why Hayward SWG board burns out components and solder joints. Not much you can do other then run the SWG at the low end of the salt range so it uses less amps and generates less heat.

Salt of 2800-3000 is better for the longevity of the Aquarite then 3600,

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.