Golden Retriever Is Here

Hey miss. Stock up on this if you have carpets. I originally found this one with the kids when they were little after trying 75 other brands. This one and the red bottle Resolve Pet cleaner spray were unmatched. This one was a bit better than the Resolve. You wipe/soak up what you can with a few paper towels and then spray this on the stain and it disappears before your eyes. Pee, poop, puke, blood, spilled drink when the dog is bigger and knocks you over..... all of it. The other kinds either got rid of the smell but not the stain, or the stain but not the smell. This one got both.

A602C415-C8B9-4B3B-88A2-3F687B61C834.jpeg

thanks for sending this info
Of course. :) I was at Lowe’s getting something else and happened to see it. I’ve been running low for a while and grabbed a bunch to stock up.

Thanks to TFP on the brain the first thought in the aisle was that I knew just the person who needed some too.

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats and Mendy48
I had Border Collies once upon a time and they were great dogs! I didn't crate train them but they were always (well, most always) fine and well behaved. They were little Tasmanian Devils when they were young and teething and would chew anything that didn't move.

They were not chow hounds and would only eat dinner after I went to bed; I would fill their bowls in the morning but they just let it sit all day.

I'm not a fan of dogs in the bed, so they slept on the floor in the bedroom (they never liked the doggie beds).

I would buy hot dogs and microwave them until they turned to hot dog jerky for training treats.

I'm looking for a rescue dog now, but everything in the shelters is a Pit Bull or a Pit Mix. I have nothing against them, but my insurance company sure does.

Good luck with your puppy and please share pictures with us! I'm sure you will do great with him/her, since you are already looking at how to make your pup a good citizen!

Reactions: Mendy48
And Goldens make great therapy dogs. My wife founded this 17 yrs ago! KPETS very rewarding to share your dog (or cat, mini horse, rabbit....) with people that need a little heart warming visit. I'm sure you can find a good organization in your area if interested and when the time comes.

(they're slowly restarting visits)

So as I lay here, thinking of my new family member, I’m grinning from East to West; praying to meet my dog soon. Then I get a message about Golden Retrievers being very bad for kids with Asthma and I felt my gut turn upside down. Both my kids have asthma... not bad, but when they get a cold they have asthma. Now my world is completely turned upside down. I fell in love with a GR puppy that’s not even born yet. I don’t want another breed. I’m wondering what to do now. Very upset. 😢

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s hard when you find information contrary to what you want to do. I won’t try to advise or confuse you, but if you want some potential good information on your side of the issue, read this and you’ll have at least a happy minute as you consider the issue.

As a side note, our boys always needed to use a nebulizer when they got sick as younger children. We started owning Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers when they were 4 and 6. They are every bit as hairy and shedmasters as GR’s. The issue never got worse and they have no issues as upper teens. Completely anecdotal for sure. I have no medical or such background.

Dogs Reduce Risk of Childhood Asthma, New Study Finds

Update...

texted my kids doc (we’re actually old friends) and he would like me to take the kids to see some GRs and to witness how they react to them. 🤷🏽‍♀️... there’s hope I guess.

like I’ve said, I really don’t know much about dogs.. hence the reason I started this thread. I’ve had my eyes set on GRs for a long time and saved the money to do this. So to find out, by someone, that GRs aren’t good dogs for my kids due to their allergies/asthma (mild), it was like someone hit me in the gut.

I’m reading the article sent to me, as well as other articles, but I’m still 🤦🏽‍♀️ over this news of GRs. I only want a GR so this is why my heart hurts. I love this puppy that hasn’t been born yet.

Ugh... there has to be a way around this. Has to.

I used old IG diving board from previous pool ramp (in attached picture with my Aussie) when I added back my small AGP.
This year, I made a new ramp with PVC, patio paver and floor mat (ramp is in my pool link picture). The dogs don't like the new ramp nearly as well - It's flimsy compared to the diving board. I think they are too heavy (40lbs). It would work fine with a smaller dog. I'd wanted a shorter ramp hence the revised PVC construction.... I may trim down the old diving board yet...
The MOST important thing about dogs that love to swim pool is training the exit.
I had steps in my IG, vinyl pool and never had an issue with liner breaches. They would jump into deep end, fetch a ball and climb out at steps. Again, you must train the exit!
Have fun with golden puppy!IMG_4149.JPGIMG_4149.JPG

I have a lot of experience with this, ranging from personal to family members with huge amounts of allergies and asthma (ranging from severe to mild). The conversation starts with how bad is the asthma? Is this more of a turns blue pretty often, or just some mild wheezing when sick, or perhaps wheeezing after a lot of athletic activity? If severe asthama, such as taking an inhaler puff multiple times a day to be able to live, then you might be in a bad spot, but you would have to test to find out (find a local GR breeder to see if you can hang out). If it is this bad, accept that there is a chance that if you try to get the dog you might have to find the dog a new home if you had too (which is normally not too hard with a GR). But ask if there is someone willing to do this job of being the bad one to say the dog has to go.

But if the asthma is not that bad, there is hope. How are your kids allergies? If they are around lots of allergies, are the allergies more itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing, or are they throat closing asthma inducing. Is they are less asthma inducing and more sneezy, there is hope.

If you decide to try, which to me there is a chance to try as long as the asthma is nor severe, then you will have a few things to do. You will need to vacuum more often, regularly brush your dog (cant stress enough), and dust more throughout the house. Dont allow dogs on furniture or bedsalso. If you have carpets in your house, that is not as great as a solid floor, but still can be OK.

With GR, as with lots of dogs, there is a good chance that asomeone in your home will need to go on full time allergy meds that they dont currently take, which is not a big deal. A chance that someone might need to get allergy shots, doable, but not as great.

Lots of rambling. But yoru situation is maybe not as bad as you worrry about. Most people, including your kids, will sacrifice taking a pill to have a dog

Reactions: Mendy48 and newdude
...Lots of rambling. But yoru situation is maybe not as bad as you worrry about. Most people, including your kids, will sacrifice taking a pill to have a dog

Your not rambling Lol. I appreciate your advise. So it’s about 1:30am, and I’m reading everyone’s posts and I’m beginning to feel like there’s light under this dark tunnel lol. Thank you.

My kids allergies aren’t that bad at all. Pretty mild. If they are around lots of allergies, they sneeze....no itchy eyes and no running nose (nothing) and no asthma. The only time their asthma is induced is via a cold or excessive excessive excessive exercising or outdoor activities. And when they do get asthma? They take two puffs and they’re fine. It is only when they get sick that their asthma gets bad with wheezing, but manageable.

we have both carpeting and hardwood floor in our home. I intend to do everything you said and more (Researching the internet)

Brush my Golden Frequently. ...
Bathe my Golden Retriever Regularly. ...
Take my Golden Retriever for a Swim. ...
Feed my Dog a High-Quality Food. ...
Keep my Dog's Stress Level Low. ...
Keep my Couch Clean by Giving Your Dog a Comfortable Bed. ...
Monthly grooming. ...

I’m still learning here and I’m beginning to think I can do this. Keep the positive vibes coming. I appreciate everyone input on this...

Crate training is key to housebreaking. Dogs are denning animals and will learn to feel safest in a crate. Once they learn to not soil there little “home” you simply expand that notion of home. We did it by keeping the crate in a laundry room. After that, a gate was set up and then gradually expanded the space until the whole house was a space that he would never soil. I’m not real big on puppy school. There’s a limit to what you can teach in the beginnin. It is said of Goldens and Labs that they don’t get their brains until they are two. Both breeds are amazing, lovable, loyal animals. We’ve had both.

We had a great trainer to work with back when we had a lab mix. First rule was, he didn’t train dogs, he trains owners. Second rule, heal on a tight leash, automatic sit when you stop, and stay are the basis of all training. Any time you have any problem, you get a leash out and go back to that basic making the dog heal. It seem to refresh all other training since. Oh, and in addition to dogs being denning animals, they are also pack animals, so you will either be the leader of your dog’s pack, or he will. There will be no other choice. If you don’t lead, he will.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.