Going to open house with inground pool. Things to look for?

Jun 6, 2019
Harrisburg, PA
I will be looking at a home for sale with an in ground pool on Sunday. It is covered for the winter, unless they open it, but I doubt it. I'm in central PA. How will I know the condition of the pool and are there questions I should be asking the realtor/owner of home?

I regret not hiring a good pool person on our first house..They said " we know a guy" and I think it was their friend.
Looks for any cracks and water leak but if you like the house I would find a well-known pool company that does everything from plastering to installing pumps and let them look at it. They should know what to look for
Might cost a couple hundred bucks but may be worth it.

We’ve bought 3 homes with pools. I usually ask how old the pool and equipment are.
What size the pool is.
How old is the liner, does it have any patches?
Have they ever replaced any pool equipment?
Any issues with the pool coping or concrete/tile surrounding the pool?
Visually inspect the pool equipment- the multi valve port lever, the lid to the leaf collection pot, is it free of cracks?
Ask how old the sand is if it’s a sand filter.
Is it a chlorine pool or salt water.
Single speed, dual speed or variable speed pump.
How is the pool covered? Is the cover in good condition? Is there a pool heater? Does it work? Any drainage conditions in the yard that run towards the pool?

Reactions: Hopefulswimmer
HS,

You could get a great deal, or the worst nightmare of your life, and it would be pretty hard to tell the difference without seeing the pool running.

If I could not see the pool running, and have it inspected by a pool guy, then I would want a substantial amount of the sales price set aside for any repairs that needed to be done.

This is one of those "Better safe than sorry" moments.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Hopefulswimmer
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.