Going out of town

Miniguy77

May 20, 2019
San Diego, CA
I’ll be away from the pool for 3 days. First time since remodel in May. I’ve had zero algae since then thanks to TFP. I’m planning on a max FC loss per day of 2 ppm, so if I add enough bleach to bring the FC up to 10 ppm, then I can be assured that it will not drop below 4 at the end of the third day. Also I will add enough acid to bring the pH down to 7.2 since it typically rises about .3 daily. Does this all sound about right?
Current numbers:
CYA = 30
TA = 50
CH = 400

I don't think I would do it that way. Is there nobody that you can have come over and dump 2-3 ppm of bleach each day? That would be ideal. If you raise FC to 10, you will lose much of it to the sun and it may not last the entire three days you are gone. You do have some room with your CYA, so you could load a floater up with pucks and let it chlorinate for you for a few days, just be sure you know how much CYA will be raised so you can adjust your target FC when you return. The pucks are also acidic so they would help keep the PH from rising too much while you are gone.

I don't think I would do it that way. Is there nobody that you can have come over and dump 2-3 ppm of bleach each day? That would be ideal. If you raise FC to 10, you will lose much of it to the sun and it may not last the entire three days you are gone. You do have some room with your CYA, so you could load a floater up with pucks and let it chlorinate for you for a few days, just be sure you know how much CYA will be raised so you can adjust your target FC when you return. The pucks are also acidic so they would help keep the PH from rising too much while you are gone.
Yeah I thought about the pucks but it’s difficult to know how much FC is added versus time since Pool Math only gives the total FC added at once. So there’s the risk of FC falling below target.
How about belt and suspenders: bring the FC to 10 and put 5-6 pucks in a floater. On return remove the floater to prevent any more CYA added, so there will be minimal added over the 3 days.

Last edited:
Many of us bring the chlorine up to SLAM level and use pucks in a floater or the in-line chlorinator if you have one. I do this when gone for 10 days in Texas heat and haven't had problems. Just check your CYA when you get back and adjust as needed.

Edit: Saw you did use Poolmath

Use PoolMath to determine effects of adding chemicals to your pool. It shows that for every 8oz. puck, it will raise your FC by 2.5 and the CYA by 1.5. The unknown factor is how fast the pucks dissolve in your setup. You'll only be gone for three days, so it's not something I'd worry about at all, especially with a low CYA of 30. You might want to run it a bit higher being in San Diego. It'd provide more protection for your chlorine and you'd use less. I run my CYA at 50 in Texas.

Last edited:
Edit: Saw you did use Poolmath

Use PoolMath to determine effects of adding chemicals to your pool. It shows that for every 8oz. puck, it will raise your FC by 2.5 and the CYA by 1.5. The unknown factor is how fast the pucks dissolve in your setup. You'll only be gone for three days, so it's not something I'd worry about at all, especially with a low CYA of 30. You might want to run it a bit higher being in San Diego. It'd provide more protection for your chlorine and you'd use less. I run my CYA at 50 in Texas.
Thanks. I think I’ll let the pucks bump the CYA up to 40.

Reactions: Lilypad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.