Going out of town and have some questions...

chubbs

Bronze Supporter
Sep 7, 2020
Bay Area, CA
I'm going out of town for 10 days and don't really have anyone nearby who I can ask to maintain the pool. I've been doing my research on here on what the best approach might be but still have a couple questions. From what I've gathered, before I leave I should top the water off a little higher than normal for the skimmer levels, lower my pH to the low 7's, raise FC to SLAM level and I also plan on getting a floater to throw in with several chlorine tabs. Does this seem like a decent enough plan? Any other suggestions?

I'm also wondering with the floater and the chlorine tabs in there should the pump be running 24/7 or is it safe to leave on it's normal schedule? Currently it's set to run 6.5 hours during the day and then 1 hour in the middle of the night.

I only have one 2 inch return from the pool and then one from the spa. The pool has 2 skimmers and 2 drains at the bottom of the deep end. So I think I should be safe in this aspect.
If you leave both the skimmers and main drain open, if the water level falls below the skimmers the pump will pull air from the skimmers, regardless that the main drain is open. You should close the skimmers completely.

Reactions: Edge70
I’ll have to invest in some of those skimmer wizards @Lake Placid mentioned since I really have no way to shut the skimmers off unless I shut the pump down completely. Thank you for the info.

Is it safe to have a chlorine tablet floater in there 24/7 if the pump is only running 7-8 hours a day on its regular schedule?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.