Going on vacation

Aug 23, 2014
Russellville
I’m leaving tomorrow on a week long vacation. I worry about leaving pool pump running. I have a new pentair superflo vs pump and a Triton II TR 60 sand filter but my plumbing is 20 years old. Should I just turn it off and fight the algae bloom when I get back or not worry and run it?

Can you get someone to come add chlorine? Even once or twice would help immensely. Bring it up to SLAM level and cover it and that will get you a few days, have someone add enough to go back to SLAM level and run the pump for half an hour and brush thoroughly and recover and you'll survive a week in decent shape.

Good application for an outdoor Wi-Fi camera so you could check in on the area if you wanted to. Unless your plumbing is suspect, I'd keep it running as normal. The thought would never have crossed my mind to shut mine off. I was just away for about 2 weeks and when I returned, the pool was just as I left it.

What is your current CYA level? You could float some pucks in a floater and have the pump run on about 1500 rpm on its normal time schedule. Bring FC up to just below SLAM level FC before you leave. Have someone swing by mid week to empty the skimmer basket, check the equipmemt area for leakage and maybe top up the water level if you don't have an auto-fill..

Enjoy your time away!

So this is the time when I have the problems, and then the bloom comes when we return from vacation.
18’ 6000g UGP
This year I have stepped up my game and have been following TFP tips and procedures and so far even with the heat the “bloom” had not presented it self. Usually by this time I see little puffs behind the brush.
So we will be gone for 5 days with no one to “check “ the pool. We have a house sitter for the animals.

wife is afraid to have pump on while we are gone even with a timer.
My plan was to bring it up to 8-10ppm FC and cover and have the pump run a few hours every day or night. Right now with the heat and full sun Im running aprox 1.5 cups LC a day to keep out levels at 4.0 my wife does not want it any higher . Its been crystal clear all season. I want to get through one season with out a green pool!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.