Going nuclear on algae. What to use?

May 30, 2013
I’m having my liner replaced but the installer can’t measure for the new liner until the water is clear. Pool was BLACK 10 days ago. I SLAMMED everyday for a week and got it to neon green but still opaque. Then Hurricane Ian came through and we lost power for 2 days and now its heading back to darker green. I can’t do this anymore. I’m spending a Crud load of money on bleach and I need to get this liner ordered pronto! It there a “nuclear” option that I can deploy using other chemicals? Since this water will be drained out before the new liner we’ll never swim in it, and I’m not worried about damaging/staining the old liner. (But obviously don’t want to use anything that would damage my equipment.). Any ideas?

I had an emergency SLAM when the realtor had me open the pool early, because the picture person was coming in 4 days. I drained half the pool and the other half was much easier battle once full.

Do you have any hangups with draining or filling ?

Shut off the pump and add enough bleach to kill the algae and then floc.

Note: Normally we do not recommend floc, but since you are going to drain anyway, it won't be a problem.

Leave the equipment off so that the floc does not get in the filter.

Floccs are a standard issue cure all for the pool stores. They do have an occasional purpose, such as now or after a flood dumps alot of mud into a pool. Regular use is highly discouraged.

Here's the skinny :

I dumped half my pool and commenced SLAM upon refilling. By the time it was full again, the bottom was entirely visible. It took another day or two to polish the water, but it would be clear enough for them to measure.

10:26 AM

Screenshot_20221006-161143_Gallery.jpg

1:27 PM

Screenshot_20221006-161854_Gallery.jpg

1:43 PM

Screenshot_20221006-161858_Gallery.jpg

5:00PM

Screenshot_20221006-161109_Gallery.jpg

That's 40 ft of water but if you looked from the deep end it was only 8ft and much better.

I’m having my liner replaced but the installer can’t measure for the new liner until the water is clear. Pool was BLACK 10 days ago. I SLAMMED everyday for a week and got it to neon green but still opaque. Then Hurricane Ian came through and we lost power for 2 days and now its heading back to darker green. I can’t do this anymore. I’m spending a Crud load of money on bleach and I need to get this liner ordered pronto! It there a “nuclear” option that I can deploy using other chemicals? Since this water will be drained out before the new liner we’ll never swim in it, and I’m not worried about damaging/staining the old liner. (But obviously don’t want to use anything that would damage my equipment.). Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.