Going away on Vacation

Jun 4, 2018
Sumas/wa
Hi,

I'm new to the forum....I am currently setting up my above ground pool for the summer. Which is fine, i hope...

I am going away for the month of July and have to leave my pool unattended in my absence. I plan to leave the solar cover on for the entire month, and/or pool cover. You tell me if this is a good idea or not? One or both covers? basically to heat up and keep water warm, and prevent debris from getting into the pool.

I'm concerned about algae growth? Last time i did this with solar cover only for about two weeks i had lots of green algae growing.

What about of Chlorine or other chemicals should i drop in before I go to prevent algae growth, and be safe when I come back?

Also cover or no cover?

No one will be using pool in my absence...I'd like a cover on for safety too....

Help?

Hello and welcome! :wave: Cover - sure to help save free chlorine (FC). Solar, I'd say no. The cooler water should slow-down any growth trying to take place. If you know your current CYA (stabilizer), you could increase your FC level to the appropriate "SLAM" level as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. With the cover, the FC should last a bit longer than most people. But at some point you might need more chlorine. If your CYA isn't too elevated, you could use a floater or two unless you have someone you trust to add a little bleach every 2-3 days or so.

Hi Texas Splash,

Thanks for the advice...as I mentioned new to the forum. SLAM = Shock or targeted value?

So if I have a CYA of 40ppm. Am I trying to achieve a shock level FC of 16? according to chart. What I am trying to achieve?

If so, do I do that through by adding shock granules? Liquid bleach? Chlorine pucks in floater? What's the best method here?

Should do this on the last day before I go?

When I say "SLAM"/Shock", I am referring to the column on the far right on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. That shock number is what we use during a SLAM to remove algae, but it may also come into play at other times - like this. You are correct in that with a CYA of 40, your shock value would be 16. Generally it's easiest to use regular bleach (aka chlorine) for that initial boost to the shock level. But once you're gone, all you can do is put some pucks in a floater. Hopefully the combination of slightly cooler weather, cover from the sun, elevated FC level, and pucks will hold you over until you get back. It will be close, but shouldn't be a swamp when you get back. You'll have to shoot me a message or post an update to this thread and let me know how it looks in July. I'll be curious. :) Do that FC boost just before you leave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.