Going away for a week with 110F temps, what to do?

tjhm4

May 3, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Hi,

I'm going away for 7 days in a couple of weeks and am wondering about the best approach to keeping my pool happy. The main complicating factor is that I live in AZ and temps get up to around 110F most days. As such, I'm adding liquid chlorine pretty much daily with my stabilizer moderately low (~40). I've read a few threads here that either suggest getting a neighborhood kid to come take a look every day or two, or just draining the pool, but none of these are from areas that get as hot. I'm currently pondering these three options:
  1. Get a local teenager to look after it for us (and pay them), teach them about liquid chlorine so they can do the whole thing. Downsides are that (1) it is quite complicated so they might get it wrong, (2) I'll ask a teenager to work with dangerous chemicals, and (3) they'll need a car to lug liquid chlorine around.
  2. Same as above, but just get them to keep a couple of chlorine tabs in the skim basket. This is much easier, but I worry if chlorine tabs (and maybe some powdered shock) would be enough in the face of intense heat.
  3. Drain the pool, refill when we get back. Kinda sad to see my lovely water go down the drain, but it's doable.
What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

In your region with the weather being what it is, you should be running your CYA higher than 40. It should be at least 50 or even 60ppm. It will help keep your chlorine in the water longer. If you can find someone to add chlorine to your pool even once in the 7 days, I would raise my CYA to (50-60) and raise FC up to SLAM level (20-24ppm). That might get you through most of the week. Your helper could show up on day 3 or 4 and add another 2 gallons of liquid chlorine and you should be good to go.

Also, you should lower your pH down to 7.2 right before leaving because it will climb some by the time you get back. When you get back, simply lower it back down into range if it has climbed too much.

I would suggest you raise your FC to SLAM (16ppm), put 4 trichlor tablets in a floating dispenser, tie it off so it cannot get stuck over the steps or whatever, and run you pump on your normal schedule.

Reactions: KJB1
I would suggest you raise your FC to SLAM (16ppm), put 4 trichlor tablets in a floating dispenser, tie it off so it cannot get stuck over the steps or whatever, and run you pump on your normal schedule.
More professional answer to what I do when leaving town. I like the idea of avoiding the floater being tied off

If you go the teenager route.. there is no point in teaching them how to test. Figure out the average amount of Cl you add each day and just have them dump in that amount. And stock up on that amount of chlorine for 7 days... Lets say its a half a gallon a day.. just get 4 gallons and put a line at the mid point of the bottle on each gallon. Set your pump schedule to run during a time they will be there and tell them to pour it in front of a return jet each day. easy peasy.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.