Globrite Niche + Microbrite Adapter = SR Smith Modlight or Kelo replacement?

SunShine112

Jan 22, 2023
Orlando
As I posted earlier this week, we had a catastrophic failure of our Globrite light: PSA: Disconnect the power supply to defective Globrite units
I've been looking to do a full replacement of the lights and transformer. After doing extensive research on this site and the internet, I came to this conclusion for replacements:
  • Florida Sunseekers - > direct replacement but not UL or ETL certified = a no go for me
  • Microbrite + Microbrite adapter - > a more reliable pentair light setup
  • SR Smith Mod light + Microbrite adapter - > a possible contender?
  • SR Smith Kelo light -> another option (but would require a bead of silicone to keep the light in the niche)
I contracted SR Smith and this was their response about a straight up Globrite replacement:

If you indeed have the Pentair GloBrite product installed rather than the MicroBrite product, then no - a Mod-Lite installation would not work. The GloBrite lights use a proprietary niche in the wall with a keyed interface that is non-standard to the normal 1.5" female threaded wall fitting. In addition, the as the Mod-Lite is a 2-piece design, it requires certain dimensions to work correctly. There are some companies selling a silicone bushing that might work to help with the threaded interface, it will not be accurate or secure enough to work for the 2-piece design. 1-piece lights such as the kelo will work fine however assuming that you're OK with the ability for the light to be pulled out if given enough force.

That's a good response from SR Smith and explains why those elements are not all interchangeable. I wish Pentair would do some work to fix the Globrite situation or take them off the market. We really want to find a good solution to tell folks about.

If you're willing to try the SR Smith Mod light let us know how that works, okay? Same with the Kelo light.

Maddie :flower:

I just heard back from SR Smith's research team, and unfortunately, this is not a viable option. Sounds like the SR Smite Kelo light would be our best bet, but awaiting final confirmation from SR Smith.

I received the sample part of the GloBrite to MicroBrite adapter and took a look at it. Unfortunately (and understandably) Pentair set this up to only accept the MicroBrite with its threaded interface removed. This means that there are no threads available to interface ANY light that is meant to use the threads for mechanical attachment.

I know it's not the news you were hoping for but that's the way it looks to me. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Are the light colors between SR compatible or will we have different color light tones? I have 6 Globrite of which 3 have failed. I didn’t want to do a full swap yet but buy them as they fail.

How is an American company able to sell non ul pool lights? (Re Florida Sunseekers)

Edit: I wonder if this is really a huge deal as ove read that many unscrupulous (Amazon companies) submit high quality samples for. Certification then produce dangerous electronics...

Reactions: Pprior
How is an American company able to sell non ul pool lights? (Re Florida Sunseekers)

Edit: I wonder if this is really a huge deal as ove read that many unscrupulous (Amazon companies) submit high quality samples for. Certification then produce dangerous electronics...
Not sure but I just ordered 4. I would think if electrical problems were the norm, we’d see many more complaints and failures than what we are seeing on here. I tend to think TFP members are on the forefront of ‘all things pool’. We KNOW that Pentair Globrites are a sheet product.

Reactions: Jejunum
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.