Glass mosaic waterline tile - post-grout cleaning?

saralines

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2020
Los Angeles
For those of you who had glass mosaic waterline tile installed, did your tilers come back on a separate day after grouting and clean the surface of the glass tile of grout haze, etc.? If so, how long after, what product did they use, and did it impact the grout itself? Mine was grouted with Permacolor on Monday and there is a lot of haze, as well as a lot of grout stuck in the surface indents of the tile. I've been trying to dig out some of the grout out of the deeper crevices with a toothbrush and toothpick, but I feel like it would be easier to do so if I could see what was just haze. Should I expect them to come and give it a clean? I haven't paid yet...

I would let them clean it.. There is a way to clean them but the builders should be doing it just in case something bad happens :)

Can you post pictures, there has been some jobs done substandard lately... DO you know what grout they used?

I would let them clean it.. There is a way to clean them but the builders should be doing it just in case something bad happens :)

Can you post pictures, there has been some jobs done substandard lately... DO you know what grout they used?
There are some areas that are cleaner than this, but there is a lot like this. They used Laticrete Permacolor.

Attachments

• grouted_tile1.jpg
    grouted_tile1.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 53
That is a great grout, so that is good.. The glass sure looks scratched, did it look like that before they installed it? What about the chunks missing?

1628130413965.png

I saw a few cracked tiles here or there but not this extensive. I had already made them redo a the tops of the spa dam wall because it was wavy and not even and tiles were pushed together, so I didn't bother going and pointing out the few cracked tiles. It is was like pulling my nails out just trying to get them to show up. Some of the smaller "scratch" lines and corner chips were part of the handmade aesthetic, but the excessive spider cracks and scratching all over the whole tile are not. I feel like if the grout was cleaned out it would be less noticeable, but should the spidery broken ones be replaced to avoid other types of issues, or repaired in some way, or just cleaned and move on?

To clarify - the cracking and scratching is much more extensive now than prior to grouting, but some was there prior to grouting from how they installed. The tile features so "handmade" defects, but their installation and grouting added at least 50% more - I think! That is why I need them to clean it, if possible. (And thank you for the markup @cowboycasey - so so sad :(.)

Reactions: cowboycasey
I was out today trying to scrub my grout and really looked at the part that’s glass. Ours is also the texture yours is and I noticed the grout filled in the holes. Ours is hard to notice though because it is lighter and has white swirls in the grout anyway. I don’t know how they could get it out after being completely dry without ruining either the tile or the rest of the grout.

This isn't the sample - this is the grouting job they did. Some areas were cleaned much better than others. This is an example of one of the worse areas. However, they are coming tomorrow to acid wash it with some sort of grout remover so hopefully that will help reduce the amount of grout in the cracks. I don't mind a little for texture here or there, but not this excessive.

Sorry I misunderstood - yes - this is the worst part, but yes, it is everywhere. They will do an acid wash of the tile, but I hope the acid won't ruin the grout in the grout lines...that is one of my concerns, and I just don't understand enough about it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was out today trying to scrub my grout and really looked at the part that’s glass. Ours is also the texture yours is and I noticed the grout filled in the holes. Ours is hard to notice though because it is lighter and has white swirls in the grout anyway. I don’t know how they could get it out after being completely dry without ruining either the tile or the rest of the grout.
Thank you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.