Glacier Pool Chiller DIY Install

I finally balanced my Glacier GPC25 pool cooler. The inlet #1 ball valve controls wand rpm speed same as my Pentair Variable Speed pump. I normally run my Pentair at 1400 rpm all night but that only produced 10 gpm which caused my Glacier to take 11 hours to drop pool water temp 4 degrees. By setting my Pentair to run at 2000 rpm at night (when I run my Glacier at night) I get 25 gpm (read from my flow meter) and only took 4.5 hours to drop 4 degrees and 9 hours to drop the pool water temp 8 degrees. So rpm pump speed really makes a difference!

My #1 inlet ball valve is now permanently set at around 7 degrees to give me 11.75 rpm wand speed with my Pentair running at 2000 rpm. It takes about one minute now for the sump pump to fill the basin from its lowest float point before it goes off again at the top of the float. My #2 outlet ball valve is now set at about 9 degrees which also takes about one minute for the sump pump float at the top to go to the bottom of the float to deplete.
Awesome! I think you are on the right track. With me having 4 returns open in addition to the chiller I have to run my pump at 2,400 rpm for it to supply enough water to the chiller...I also have a dedicated return line so my system GPM was never an issue. If your return from the chiller is plumbed into the intake of the pump...then you 100% needed more flow.

Now you just have to figure out the best time of day/night to run it and for how long. I experimented here with daytime running during full sun really hot 96+ air temps. Mine will maintain within a degree during the daytime hours under really hot/humid conditions. If I turn it on at noon when the water is say 85...it will not let the water get any warmer than 86 till sundown...then it will start to drop the temp.

Reactions: jark87
Does the glacier also increase PH? Would assume so. I had a joker call me today and quote me $5800 to install a GPC25. Scope was the cooler, two automated valves, a 2x2 pad, a larger relay board ($800) for intelligent and some PVC. $3500 at most for materials. $2300 for 3-5 hours work. Nope.

Does the glacier also increase PH?
I assume so, but I don’t have any data to back it up. My pH has rises over the course of a week, but it has done so since I’ve had the pool - before misters and before the chiller. It rises more quickly during the summer, but I’m also running the pump longer with a higher SWCG run rate, which also contributes to pH rise. Which is the actual culprit?

As far as economics of the chiller go, only you can decide what’s right for your situation. All outdoor construction/installation has significantly increased in price since COVID. I cringe when I look at what I’m paying for my outdoor kitchen redo, but I don’t want to wait a few years to see if prices retreat.

When I bought my chiller several years ago, I also thought it was pretty pricey, and I also did not have much info from others who could verify that it worked. Felt like a big gamble. But I had a $100k investment sitting in my backyard that wasn’t getting used during the time when we wanted to use it the most. As a % of that investment, the chiller cost was minor and gave me and my family full summers of pool enjoyment. Hard to put a price on that.

One other note: my total chiller price was around $3500, installed. If I recall correctly, the chiller was roughly $2k, meaning I paid $1500 for installation. That was over 5 years ago. $2300 doesn’t seem completely out of line considering recent price increases. My pool builder tells me my $100k pool would cost over $200k today.

My Glacier Pool Cooler GPC25 cost me $1,950 plus $400 shipping from TC Pool Equipment in California. Add $300 (by my tile guy) for the concrete pad and $200 by Mr. Amp electrical install to my spare circuit breaker. Plumbing parts cost me around $450 plus (2 check valves were $180) and another $800 by my Landscaper/Irrigation guy (2 days work). Total Cost $4,200.

Though having my pool temps average 84-86 degrees instead of 94-96 hot bathtub water makes it worth it for my pleasure time in the pool. Not to mention its getting hotter in the Southwest every year. Am lucky the humidity averages 10-20% all year long with about an average of 6" of rain here a year.

Last edited:
I finally figured out today why my Galacier was only dropping 4 degrees no matter what my variable pump speed was. I have one return valve which has two pipes. One pipe to my inside pool spa (called spa return) and one to the pool (called return pool) all controlled by one valve. The PB set the valve at 80% to spa and only 20% was going to the pool. Why this was done, is beyond me. So I reversed it to 80% return to pool and 20% return to spa! I'll see tonight the degree change running it all night at 80% going into the pool this time!

Reactions: duckcmmndr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.