Glacier Install ?

kwood969

Nov 10, 2022
Montgomery, TX
Looking to install or have my Glacier GPC 210 installed next week. I've searched through all of the threads and could not find the answer I was after. I have a Pentair Prowler cleaner but we ran a 1.5" line in case we ever need to install a cleaner with a booster bump. Would this be sufficient to use as the dedicated return line for the chiller or does it need to be tied into the pool return to be dispersed across the pool?

I can't see any reason why using the return line is an issue as long as you have sufficient flow - which 1.5" pipe should provide.

Temperature from the colder return line will equilibrate into the pool very quickly. No concern there..

Reactions: kwood969
To close this out, I ended up plumbing the return from the Glacier to the 1.5" line for the cleaner that wasn't used. Fired it up around 7pm on Wednesday and let it run until Friday around 5pm. Started at 95° and ended up at 87° Thursday morning compared to the usual 91°. Continued running throughout the day and it only rose to 90°. The following morning it dropped to 84° and only rose to 88°. The plan is start dialing it in to stay in the 85-88° range. I'm am extremely happy with it and mirror what others have said that it has given us our pool back. No more 95° hot tub temps in the pool!

I have seen were most recommend to have a dedicated return line from the cooler, but I haven’t seen and explanation as to why. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to having a dedicated return line from the cooler vs dispersing the chilled water across all the returns?

Reactions: Ignoramus
I have seen were most recommend to have a dedicated return line from the cooler, but I haven’t seen and explanation as to why. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to having a dedicated return line from the cooler vs dispersing the chilled water across all the returns?
The return from the Chiller has no pressure. It must gravity drain to the pool via a dedicated line, or be plumbed into the suction side of the pump.

The return from the Chiller has no pressure. It must gravity drain to the pool via a dedicated line, or be plumbed into the suction side of the pump.
I will say that the sump pump puts out quite a bit of flow. When the float switch kicks in, I'd compared the flow/pressure to a jet in the spa. A dedicated return is how Glacier recommends to install on a new pool build.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.