Benkg43

Mar 2, 2021
Richmond,TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool is now a year old and I've had enough experience with the chiller to know it's making a difference. Now that I'm a year in I'm thinking about ways to dial it in to be even more effective, and I have have a question specifically about the outlet valve. I believe the instructions note the outlet valve should be opened minimally. My question is, if the pump kicks in based on the basin filling up to a specific point, which I believe is the case, where does the outlet value & how much it's opened come into play? In other words, why is the vendor's recommendation to open it minimally? I read elsewhere on this site that opening it more can increase the cycle frequency, but how is that true if the cycle time is based solely on the pump kicking in upon the basin being filled?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, so for anybody who has an answer, even a partial one, thanks in advance for helping me advance my understanding on this topic.

That’s pretty interesting. I’ve never paid any attention to the outlet valve setting. It was set at roughly 50% open by the installer and I haven’t ever changed it. The gray valve is the outlet.

1689715473311.jpeg

sounds like I need to mess with my output and see what the difference is. I'm still confused about the role the outlet configuration plays on the system as a whole. Hopefully somebody reading this knows that answer.

Reactions: Mike.wondo
From what I am looking at the outlet valve /discharge valve(grey) is or has been adjusted to 50% closed for what reason?
On residential installs where the plumbing from the cooler discharge is plumbed directly to the suction side of the circulation pump can sometimes pull vacuum and this air. If you have a variable speed pump it can actually cause the pump to shutdown. The valve maybe throttled to 50% for this reason.

From what I am looking at the outlet valve /discharge valve(grey) is or has been adjusted to 50% closed for what reason?
On residential installs where the plumbing from the cooler discharge is plumbed directly to the suction side of the circulation pump can sometimes pull vacuum and this air. If you have a variable speed pump it can actually cause the pump to shutdown. The valve maybe throttled to 50% for this reason.
I don’t know why it’s at 50%. I’ve never even paid attention to it until this thread. It’s been that way for 6+ years and works great, so I don’t mess with it. My chiller was installed long after my pool was built, so that may play a role. I also have a single speed pump.

In the Owner's manual it says to adjust the valves so that the water level in the basin goes up and down: essentially that basin fills up enough to trigger the float valve so that the sump pump in the bottom kicks in and helps pump it out. I just had mine installed a few days ago and am still playing with mine

Reactions: jark87
That’s pretty interesting. I’ve never paid any attention to the outlet valve setting. It was set at roughly 50% open by the installer and I haven’t ever changed it. The gray valve is the outlet.

View attachment 514965
Question. Is the gray valve the inlet valve and blue the outlet? I’m asking because I am trying to understand this cooling system and how it needs to be plumbed before my pool build begins in a few weeks

View attachment 514965
Question. Is the gray valve the inlet valve and blue the outlet? I’m asking because I am trying to understand this cooling system and how it needs to be plumbed before my pool build begins in a few weeks
You are correct - gray is inlet and blue is outlet. I had it backwards. I double checked yesterday to confirm by adjusting the inlet flow/wand speed.

Reactions: Lampasas1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.