Glacier cooler DIY install - Advice needed

clearlakebear

Dec 30, 2022
Houston, TX
I am looking into doing an install of a Glacier Cooler and looking for some advice or constructive criticism of my idea. My equipment area is kind of tight so it will require me to move my waterfall pump over a bit, redo the plumbing, etc.

I currently have a pressure side pump that was used for a previous cleaner that is not in use any more. My plan is to remove the pump and utilize the existing tee coming from the return side to feed water to the cooler and use the dedicated return to send water from the cooler back to the pool. I realize that the manual says for an existing build with automation to plumb it in to the suction side however I will have a dedicated return, albeit on the wall of the pool and not the bottom, so why not use it as if it is similar to a new pool build.

Any thoughts on if this will work as I anticipate or should I try to figure out how to plumb it into the suction side? I don’t have much plumbing to work with on that aspect so I can only think of removing the cap and adding a new valve to the end for the cooler. Appreciate any help!E29B7356-3A7F-4A3E-B6A3-89DADD2EC443.jpeg

Photo below of my pad labeled for clarity:
1. Tee running from returning line to booster pump
2. Booster pump to be removed
3. Suction side lines with cap referenced above
4. Return line for booster pump under capped end
5. Waterfall pump to be moved over

Good morning! Seems like it's time we check-in with you. Did you make any progress on the cooler install? Still need some help? I've seen some other cooler posts recently, so not sure how yours didn't get a reply, but we can try to reach-out to other cooler owners if it would help.

Thanks for the follow up Texas Splash.

Luckily for me I was on a 2.5 week vacation so I wasn't fiddling much with the pool. I have looked at the other threads so I think my initial idea of using the existing return line will be my starting point and then I can always pivot to moving it to the suction side if it doesn't work as well as planned.

Unfortunately this will be a late summer/fall project for me as I have a couple of other "projects" that have popped up unexpectedly so I won't get to test/realize the benefits until next summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.