Glacier Chiller Not Living Up To Expectations

Benkg43 - I'm late to the party here, but sorry to hear about your poor experience and frustration. I'm by no means a pool expert. I just had mine installed last year but hope i can offer more advise. (Mine is 17k gallons/ 6ft. deep end and in full sun all day like yours) Within a month of being installed I came back and installed the Glacier myself. Very simple to add on after the fact, even with full automation, except if I would have had the pool builder do it I would have had the dedicated return line added.
In your pictures i can see the valves on lines to and from the cooler but did they not put a cheaper red handled valve at the cooler?? That is what you want so you can regulate the water pressure so its the same each time you use it. I set my chiller to run optimal with my VSP at 80% (+/-2420rpms) and with that i have to choke the water way down going into the unit or it will sling water like crazy.
I've never got the pool water to 80° at night either, 82-83° is the best I can do. The best luck I have had though is just running the Glacier for 24 hours a day as many days as we want to use the pool. When we first got it I thought it was a night time only thing and by 2pm every day we were back in the low 90's. This past week or 2 its ran steady and each day when the air is 100-104 the hottest the pool has got was 88°. The chiller is off today and by noon it was already 89°.
Per the instructions i got from the Glacier tech, get your wand to go as fast as you can with out water slinging to the inner walls of the cooler. If water is running down the walls and dripping over the lower vent grates its too fast. Also if you have the valve between your floor drain and skimmer return lines, set it between them to cut each off by 50%. This will force the pump to pull more water from the chiller. Even though it uses a sump pump he said it fine to pull water past that pump as it will not hurt it.

Benkg43 - I'm late to the party here, but sorry to hear about your poor experience and frustration. I'm by no means a pool expert. I just had mine installed last year but hope i can offer more advise. (Mine is 17k gallons/ 6ft. deep end and in full sun all day like yours) Within a month of being installed I came back and installed the Glacier myself. Very simple to add on after the fact, even with full automation, except if I would have had the pool builder do it I would have had the dedicated return line added.
In your pictures i can see the valves on lines to and from the cooler but did they not put a cheaper red handled valve at the cooler?? That is what you want so you can regulate the water pressure so its the same each time you use it. I set my chiller to run optimal with my VSP at 80% (+/-2420rpms) and with that i have to choke the water way down going into the unit or it will sling water like crazy.
I've never got the pool water to 80° at night either, 82-83° is the best I can do. The best luck I have had though is just running the Glacier for 24 hours a day as many days as we want to use the pool. When we first got it I thought it was a night time only thing and by 2pm every day we were back in the low 90's. This past week or 2 its ran steady and each day when the air is 100-104 the hottest the pool has got was 88°. The chiller is off today and by noon it was already 89°.
Per the instructions i got from the Glacier tech, get your wand to go as fast as you can with out water slinging to the inner walls of the cooler. If water is running down the walls and dripping over the lower vent grates its too fast. Also if you have the valve between your floor drain and skimmer return lines, set it between them to cut each off by 50%. This will force the pump to pull more water from the chiller. Even though it uses a sump pump he said it fine to pull water past that pump as it will not hurt it.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Jeff. A few things...

- 2600 RPMs is the lowest I can get my pump to run while still feeding the chiller enough volume to keep the wands spinning at a reasonable speed. Any lower and the wand barely moves or doesn't move at all.
- There is no red-handled valve at the cooler. Just the 2 valves, each with actuators on them so I can control them remotely. The intake valve is opened 100% when the chiller is on; any less will not allow enough water from entering the chiller (and by extension the wands will not spin fast enough). What value would an additional valve add since I already have an adjustable valve there?
- I'll try your suggestion of cutting the floor and return drains to 50%, though I'm not sure I understand the value. I guess I hadn't thought of this particular leg of the water's journey (the outlet from the chiller back to the pump) as being part of the equation.... I'll have to give that one some thought to wrap my brain around it.

Additional feedback from my latest experiences.... I got the pool as low as 79 degrees last Friday morning, even if only for 15 minutes. Running the chiller for many days straight seems to be the trick. But also it didn't get to 105 degrees last week and this weekend so that probably helped too. But I can say that yesterday it reached 100 degrees outside and my pool topped out at 84, which was both miraculous and WONDERFUL. I'm still game to continue experimenting with different things to make the chiller more effective. I would love to see if as effective as it is now but with a lower pump RPM. I'll continue to update this chain until I've made my setup as good as it can possible be, if for no other reason than to help others in the future.

That is amazing that you were down to 84° yesterday. It was a hot one and i believe I was at 86-87° by late afternoon.
Yeah I was very pleased. Pretty sure the reason is because I had been running it for ~5 days straight. I turned it off last night ~8pm since the weekend was over, and left it off overnight. This morning ~9am I turned it on when my wife told me she was expecting company. It's @ 85 now (it's 2:49pm 96 degrees outside) and based on what I've seen, ~2:30 is when it peaks, so 85 should be my high for the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.