Give your suggestions, tips, ideas on a new pool build in Phoenix, AZ

Dec 20, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
What a great resource this forum is, I've been reading up on many topics already.

I've been in two previous homes in Phoenix with Pools. Based on my limited experience I've made some choices with what we're looking at for a new pool build in our new home. I'd love to get feedback before we commit.

We are looking for a simple design with some automation to help maintain it ourselves without too much trouble.

• Decking: Marbella, we're not fans of cool deck type finish.
  • Fun: SR Smith Salt Basketball Hoop, and sleeves for Volleyball Net
  • Pool Size: rectangular 14'x26', 80 linear feet. Play pool, maybe 4' 5' 4' or similar. We can't go any wider, could go longer but not sure it's necessary.
  • Finish: Ultra-POZ, this stuff feels like plaster to me but it's supposed to be very durable, seems that every Pebble pool I've been in eats up my toes so I'm staying far away.
  • Cleaning: Doheny's Dolphin robot cleaner. In our first pool we had a creepy crawly type device and hated it, then a Polaris cleaner with wheels and it was troublesome... Next pool had A&A Popups and they didn't do a great job and didn't get the walls at all, so I think I'm ready for an affordable robot cleaner instead; I also like the idea of letting the pool pump just circulate and filter and heat the water, and let the cleaner operate on it's own power and on it's own schedule.
  • Equipment: Looking at Hayward gear, variable speed pump (should I just do a 2-speed pump?), cartridge filter, the Aqua Plus automation center and SWCG with a TurboCell 15, seriously considering the Sense & Dispense for handling Ph. A single Hayward ColorLogic LED mounted in the middle of the long side of pool. Considering the 110,000 BTU Hayward Heat Pump. I would normally think about a DIY solar heater, but we recently installed a 10kW solar PV system and I sized it with pool in mind, so I'll be heating the pool with Solar PV generated energy to power and electric heat pump.
  • Other Items: Want a VacLock for any possible manual vacuuming with an inline Leaf Canister, Auto-Fill of course, Umbrella inserts, in-line chlorinator canister for any additional tablet need in summer time. A&A AVSC drain which is safe and more flush. Will add landscape lighting in the backyard which I think can be controlled via the AquaPlus. Will get a solar blanket.

We're thinking not a huge baja step, but maybe a single shelf/step that is 3' at one end.

I've already found out about several things I never knew with owning two previous pools, I'm sure that there is much more I don't know. If there are any things you'd really recommend, or choices you find questionable, I'd really love to see your input. Something small like the VacLock to something bigger like choice of equipment, chemical automation, etc.

Thank you!

Randy

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

If I am correct the TurboCell 15 is rated to 40,000 gallons, so it should be great. My math shows you pool somewhere between 11 - 15K gallons, depending on the depth you decide. We always recomend a minimum of twice the cell size for pool volume. Bigger is better.

Without a model number, the Doheny's Dolphin robot cleaner could be one of several. Most folks here (myself included) have found the Maytronics line of cleaners to be what the doctor ordered.

Personally I have read one too many posts about problems with Sense & Dispense. Once you get your TA dialed in, pH is generally a minimal or non-issue. I add a little acid once, maybe twice a week. But, it doesn't rise so quickly that I can't go away for a vacation and need to worry about it.

Skip the in-line chlorinator canister. We shy away from "combination" chemical additions, and the tabs are just that - a combination. They add both chlorine and stabilizer. Again, like TA - once the stabilizer is dialed in you seldom need more. Your T-Cell should keep up with your chlorine needs easily.

That's it for now, but I'll keep thinking.

We always recomend a minimum of twice the cell size for pool volume. Bigger is better.

This is one of the things I've learned from the forums, my previous pool was 13,xxx gallons and Shasta sized it with a 15,000 rated T-Cell 3. I'm going BIGGER this time!

Thanks on the Chlorine Canister, I'll axe that...

With regard to the S&D for Ph, good to know. I was sort of thinking starting without it anyway and could always add if I changed my mind. For the price it needs to work excellent! If not then that's a problem.

Do you think 1 skimmer is sufficient on a pool this size, only gotcha is that it may get quite a lot of leaves from a tree that is not as far away as I would like.

Welcome Randy! Good move on the larger cell. Think about some umbrella mounts if you want some shady sections in pool for hanging out. I have a couple built in loungers and table with an 11' umbrella and its a great area to relax with a drink and read. We spend a lot of lounging time in pool - not just playing and swimming.

S&D is up to you. I replaced my system with an AutoPilot Total Control salt water chlorine generator (SWG) which will allow for their version of the S&D for ph and/or orp (control of swg). I will make that decision if to add those parts in spring if I find myself adding acid a lot. Last season (my first) I think I only needed to add acid 3 total time (once was when I opened pool) all season, so if this season seems to be the same, I may hold off on it.

I have a single skimmer for 16x38 almost rectangular pool, and it works. I have lots of pine trees with long-needles, and when fall approaches, it fills the skimmer basket ever day. I have a variable speed pump, which I love. When it is on the lower speed settings, which I like to circulate the water, the skimmer does not work real well, so a 2nd one would have helped me. But to make up for that my pump will run a higher speed to clean everything off daily. And I use a Polaris Robot (completely automated - not the vacuum type) to clean. Love having the robot.

One other suggestion. My pool has about 4" ledge that goes around the pool at the 3 1/2' depth (not in the shallow end). This is great for the little kids as it is a place they can stand.

Again, welcome and enjoy!

Hi Randy,
Looks like it's going to be a great set-up. I would consider going longer depending on how many people will be in the pool. If it's just your family (or 4/5 people) it's fine. I'm at 32 feet (the stairs are in addition to that) and when we have friends over with my family of five it gets full (5 or 6 kids, 4 adults in total). If you entertain a lot go longer, if not I just wasted your time :) Given that you've had pools before you probably know how you'll use it but figured I'd mention just in case. Can't wait to see it come to life!

Hi Randy!
Welcome to TFP! Your pool sounds similar to mine. Mine is 13.5' x 30. I couldn't go wider either but I love the length and would have gone longer if hubby would have agreed. As it is, 30' is good for doing laps, which we like and when the whole family is in, we don't feel on top of each other.
I have the Doheny's Discovery made by Maytronics. It's the same as the S200. Can not say enough good about this robot! The more I use it the more impressed I am. I highly recommend it!
Since my pool is narrow, we put triangular benches in each of the 3 corners and used the 4th corner for our stairs, which are low step height and hug the side of the pool. They don't take up much of the precious width space and by hugging the side of the pool you have a place for people to hold on and steady themselves without adding a handrail.

We have all Hayward equiptment and so far we like the Ecostar VSP. We also have Omnilogic for automation. We are still learning about it so I can't tell you much there.
Would love to see your build area and what the design looks like!

We have all Hayward equiptment and so far we like the Ecostar VSP. We also have Omnilogic for automation. We are still learning about it so I can't tell you much there.

If you are going with OmniLogic (or any other automation option with phone/app control) I strongly agree with going VSP, but primarily for water feature control as opposed to trying to get any power saving on the filter run. It's really nice being able to fine tune our waterfall and other features just a few percent one way or the other to either drop the noise or kick it up without having to go turn a valve.

plat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.