Giardia Shock Recommendation

ASteiny

May 18, 2019
Houston
Hi All,

Apologies if this has already been threaded but looking through the thread, my situation has particulars that seemed to warrant a post. My 1yr old puppy has had frequent diarrhea for the last week or so and was just diagnosed with Giardia, the second time, as he had it 8 months ago when we brought him home.. He has space on gravel a good distance from the pool, and on a grass strip right behind the pool that we have mostly trained him not to use. In either case, with significant rain and wind yesterday I am concerned that either

1) The pool is the source of the Giardia.
2) The pool could become contaminated even if it wasnt the source.

In either case, I went to test chlorine using FAS DPD and shockingly it was at 0 ppm. I usually check every couple days, and maintain around 4 ppm with CYA @ 30 ppm. Whats more admittedly my stomach and my fiancee's has been funny for the last week too. I am proceeding to shock the pool- I am working to get it to 20 ppm using 10% Bleach and keep pH around 7.2-7.5, which should be above shock level, and maintain for at least 24 hours and until I dont lose chlorene overnight, no chloramine, etc. Further more, I am spraying the lip of the pool, surfaces near the pool, and vinyl pool floats with a concentrated bleach solution. I have a DE filter, which I will leave running 24/7 while shocking. I need to open it up and look at the grids, but idk if i will get to that right away or not. I recharged it recently, So not planning to backflow or anything until i can do the full service.

My question is - is this plan of attack sufficient? Should I be doing more? Should I send my water somewhere for testing? Where? What else am I missing.

I would not go over the SLAM level FC. But that is up to you.

In Houston it would be advisable to raise your CYA to 40 or 50 ppm once you are done with the SLAM.

Giardia lives in the ground and also carried on the fur of the dog around their anus, and on their paws which they pick up the cysts from the area when they walk. It is recommended you wash their paws and bum and do not allow them lick you as the cysts can be passed that way to humans. If possible only allow the dog to potty on the gravel area, pick up the feces immediately and bleach the area. Do not allow him in your pool with a Giardia infection as the cysts live in water. Although with chlorine in the water it should kill cysts.

Giardia can be difficult to get rid of, be sure your vet is treating your dog with Panacur, 3-5 days of treatment, followed by another course of treatment in 3 weeks. Wait 2 weeks after last treatment and have him tested again.

In Houston it would be advisable to raise your CYA to 40 or 50 ppm once you are done with the SLAM.
Sou

Forgot to mention I went high on FC because I had already tossed a sock full of CYA in my skimmer. CYA is now at 50 so holding around 20 on FC. I went from 17.5 to 14 last night, but interest not hardly any color change on the CC drops.

Sounds like a good arrangement.
A little light reading for bedtime...
I had heard Crypto was a lot harder to get rid of than Giardia, I guess this article sort of confirms that. In any case my waters clear but something is consuming FC. Considering my dogs got Giardia, I’m assuming it could be that and shocking, cleaning up the yard daily, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.