GFCI breaks with both pool & spa lights on, but not when only one.

Dec 30, 2018
Yucaipa CA
When I turn on both the pool and spa lights, my GFCI outlet circuit breaks. When I turn on one or the other, all is fine. But as soon as I turn on the one that is off, the circuit breaks. It doesn't matter which order I turn them on. Any ideas?

What amp rating is the GFCI? What type of GFCI is it? What amp rating is the breaker on that circuit? What type of pool & spa lights and wattage?

My guess is you may have a 15 amp GFCI on a 20 amp circuit.

Please Read This BEFORE You Post and put the details of your pool in your signature.

How do you control your pool/spa lights? Automation panel?

If this has worked OK for you in the past, it probably isn't an amperage rating issue.

It may be a breaker getting flaky (failing). Is this GFI a breaker "proper" meaning it looks like the other breakers in the panel? Or is it an outlet GFI like you might find in your bathroom or kitchen? Outlet GFI breakers (through experience) don't seem to be as robust as GFI breakers you would find in a panel as indicated by their price. GFI breakers are about twice as much as outlet GFI's are. Also, it is not uncommon to have other outlets/appliances on that circuit like your safety cover motor, etc. Check to see if the lights are the only thing on that circuit when it is tripping.

What amp rating is the GFCI? What type of GFCI is it? What amp rating is the breaker on that circuit? What type of pool & spa lights and wattage?

My guess is you may have a 15 amp GFCI on a 20 amp circuit.

Please Read This BEFORE You Post and put the details of your pool in your signature.

How do you control your pool/spa lights? Automation panel?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I did update my information the best I could. The GFCI was a 15 amp on a dual 20 amp circuit. I replaced it today per my pool guy's recommendation that it would probably solve the problem, and that the GFI was unable to manage the load. It didn't help. I used a 20 amp GFCI outlet. Both lights have independent manual switches. I do not know the wattage of the pool and spa lights. The spa light was repaired last year for having water in it. My other pool service provided has never heard of this problem either. It's very odd that the lights work independently, but not together. They worked fine a few months ago after the pool surface was replaced with quartz (which needs help since the acid wash didn't go right).

If this has worked OK for you in the past, it probably isn't an amperage rating issue.

It may be a breaker getting flaky (failing). Is this GFI a breaker "proper" meaning it looks like the other breakers in the panel? Or is it an outlet GFI like you might find in your bathroom or kitchen? Outlet GFI breakers (through experience) don't seem to be as robust as GFI breakers you would find in a panel as indicated by their price. GFI breakers are about twice as much as outlet GFI's are. Also, it is not uncommon to have other outlets/appliances on that circuit like your safety cover motor, etc. Check to see if the lights are the only thing on that circuit when it is tripping.

I have an electrician coming out next week. He said he's never heard of that issue either. Perhaps it is the dual 20 amp breaker at the main electrical panel. Those circuits (breaker) feed all the pool equipment and lighting. As stated in the reply above, I replaced the GFCI outlet today with a 20 amp (was a 15). Didn't help. Very odd.

We hear about a lot of funky electric wiring. I don’t have a good mental picture of your setup. Getting an electrician to map your wiring out is probably the best.

I found a different forum where someone had posted the same issue. Someone thought that it might be a wire that might have some internal wiring exposed, but not enough alone to trigger the GFCI outlet alone, but possibly could when the other light was turned on and increases the load. I'll give this info to the electrician as well. Thanks to all! I'll provide an update when/if a solution is found.

We had the signing off on our pool delayed by the city inspector discovering that the GFCI in the garage (which tied into all the outlets on the exterior of the house) would not trip. I think my car charger may have melted the internals of.the GFCI as it gets very hot when the car is charging. When I replaced the 20 amp GFCI with a new one, I noticed that it started tripping once or twice a week. It was most annoying as our water softener system for the house was plugged in outside and would cause the water pressure in.the house to drop suddenly. I now have a string of LED lights plugged into the garage GFCI so if they are off I know to reset the GFCI. I have noticed however that the breaker controlling the outside sockets is 15amps. I haven't opened the breaker box to determine if the wire is 12 or 14 gauge. Usually outside circuits for well systems are 20amp around here.
I don't know if any of this helps with your issue but we have found many odd electrical issues since we bought our 13 year old home 2 years ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your GFI is tripping only when you try to use both lights, that makes sense. Increased load is causing the trip. Increased as in a problem with the existing appliance(s), or the delivery of electricity there of (wiring). I have seen where the fixture gets moisture in it, not enough to get water accumulating at the bottom of the lens, but enough moisture in the fixture to be an issue for the GFI. You may be able to see this moisture in the form of condensate on the inside of the lens. You will need to look carefully to see this. I have also seen loose connections at j-boxes, switches, anywhere the wire ends. Something may have happened to the conduit, switches, etc. as well. Recent trenching in the yard ??

The GFI could very well be doing its job... I realize i said that it could be the GFI outlet, but a simple swap out could rule that out, and looks like you have tried this without improvement.

Note: Increasing the amperage rating on your breaker is not the right fix for this issue. Again, keep in mind that if the system had worked properly in the past, it is probably not a amperage rating issue , and should not be diagnosed as such. And of course this is under the assumption that the circuit was properly rated (breaker, wire size, and load) when it was first installed.

Last edited:
Shared neutral?
I would look into this...

That would do it, But you have to ask, did it work OK at first? Then start the wonky behavior? Or was it like this from birth? If it worked at first, then started up, then i think the melted/failed GFI was the right call.

Shared neutral would be an issue from the start, right? Actually, i think a shared neutral would not let the breaker be reset. Isolated, or neutral going back to the neutral buss and not back to the breaker would not trip?

For better or worse, i don't see enough improperly wired GFI's to tell exactly what improper wiring does/doesn't do.

GFCI works by monitoring for any imbalance in the electrical flow between the hot and the neutral. Each of your lights may have a slight ground fault. Each one alone is not sufficient to trip the GFCI. But when both are on the imbalance is over the GFCI threshold and it trips.

You probably need to look at both lights for any water leakage or corrosion.

Note, I would not pre-bias your electrician by giving him clues to other possible problems or solutions of what you think might be the problem.

Type-up all the facts in this manner:

Time it was working from ____ to _____.
Time when it starting tripping w both lights _______
-List all of the symptoms of your problems on the what's happening, when, how often, etc.

Let him work w your facts so he can perform his troubleshooting...if he get's stuck [which I hope he shouldn't], then you can provide supplemental information...

good luck

Back in January of last year, I posted a question asking about a possible cause to a GFCI outlet breaking power when both of two lights (one pool, one spa) were turned on, but not when only one was on. The pool electrician that came out found water in both lights. He stated that one alone was not apparently enough to trigger the GFCI to break, but both combined were. Both lights have since been replaced with new wiring and new LED lights. The GFCI outlet did not get replaced. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.