Gfci breaker keeps tripping

May 17, 2017
New york
So I bought a new blue torrent 1.5 hp pump this summer. It's been working fine but I turned it off 2 nights ago and than we got one heck of a storm. I come to turn it on this morning and the outside breaker is tripped. Switch it over and nothing. The 15amp breaker underneath also tripped so I flipped that as well and tested the pool light. I could hear static/shocking inside the panel. Turned it off and could smell burning. I opened it up and there was moisture. Turned off all power, dried it out, and let it sit for day. Come back today and still gfci keeps tripping when j flip it to on. Can anyone help I'm finally on vacation at home and this is just ruining it. The gfci breakers are also brand new this summer. 112297

Last edited by a moderator:
I see wires in that box with burnt insulation. You need an electrician to clean up the electrical box and fix the problems.

You need an electrician with a working knowledge of wiring sub-panels as I see several code violations in there. I agree with the others on seeing what looks like a compromised insulation on a couple of wires. Also Not sure what the Drywall screw is doing in there but it cant be good in the position it is in.

Speaking as an electrician: This is a safety issue. You don’t want to mess around with water and electric you will be swimming in. You need to have that evaluated by an electrician.

I would say the moisture caused an issue (short, fault, etc.) which created the heat which burned your wires. The moisture can also compromise the GFCI breaker. I would check the entire sub panel AND the feeder and breaker from the main panel.

Please consult an electrician. The price is going to be small compared to you and your family’s safety.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.