Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi folks,

I’ve got a newly built pool in North Central FL that we cut the ribbon on in April 2023. Details in the signature. I had my pool builder start off doing the maintenance and it seemed haphazard so, being an engineer, I did some research and found TFP. I’ve read all the ABCs and even done some deep dives on further details and read some pertinent forum threads. I’ve since taken over my own maintenance for the last 9 months and have my TF-100 test kit. This is a long post but I’ve learned a lot reading from you guys and I’m trying to cut down on important missing information.

I’ve had to slam my pool probably 3 or 4 times in total since we first put water in it up until Now which is a little over a year later. I feel like I’m getting better at keeping it clear and the chemicals balanced. Im pretty strict when I say clear. It’s a 7ft deep pool and if I can’t see the Phillips head screw pattern on my drain when standing over the coping in the deep end, then it isn’t clear in my book.

In the winter it isn’t cold enough to “close” the pool but definitely too cold to swim. So with no bather load I find keeping the chemicals balanced and the water crystal clear was a snap. I keep CYA around 75 and FC I let fluctuate between 12-24 which is shy of SLAM level and I have no issues.

But now that the season has started back up I’ve got kids and their friends in the water, as well as a young Australian shepherd who LOVES to swim and be in the pool.

I’m writing this thread for a few reasons. First to introduce myself, second to give some data on what I notice about my slam experience and my dog in the pool, and third to see if anyone has any insight into whether I’m on the right track or not.

For background, I only use CYA powder, never tabs. Baking soda for alkalinity, muriatic to lower the PH, and liquid Cl as needed for a boost or a slam. I haven’t put anything else in the pool. I run my pump at 45% (43Gpm) 7am-7pm and drop it to 20% in the evenings. I never turn it off. I’ve got dogs and dog hair that require constant skimming.

Currently finishing a slam because we had a pool party about 2 weeks ago and the water got a tad cloudy on me and I noticed my SWG could not keep up even when set to 75%. This is unusual especially with the SWG being set that high. My FC balance each day of testing continued to fall. I prefer to have my FC on the high side of about 11 with CYA around 75. My FC never fell Below 4ppm but something was clearly consuming the FC faster than the SWG could put it out. (I acid washed the SWG and made sure the FC at the return was 1ppm higher than at the skimmer to ensure it’s working). I cleaned the filter several times because I was hoping maybe it was sunscreen residue but as my FC continued to drop I decided to just slam it to be safe. The water got back to my threshold of clear within 2 days but I was not passing the OCLT for FC loss and my CC’s were between 1.5 and 2.5 for several days. My FC and CC numbers were actually a bit erratic in that the FC would get consumed at an expected rate of ~2-4 ppm
But I’d hit these strange bursts of losing 6+ppm in a short time period, including overnight.

During a slam, when the water is clear I notice that I typically lose about 3ppm of FC on average from the sun plus whatever is being oxidized.

My CYA is currently 55. I had a couple late evenings where I topped my pool off around 630pm to get my FC to about 26 (I know slam is 24 but I go a touch higher to allow for fluctuation). I test again around 830pm and that’s my benchmark for the OCLT when I test before sunrise the next day. Well, I noticed things getting funky when I added 0.8 gal of chlorine to the pool at 630pm and at an 830pm retest the FC didn’t move. I should’ve seen a 5ppm or 6ppm jump from that dose but it didn’t move and there is no sun on my pool from 6pm onwards. This is very out of the ordinary to happen.

I’ve always suspected my dog has an impact but I didn’t pay much attention to it as the TFP forums I read on dogs seemed to indicate they don’t have too much of an effect. Well this slam is taking a lot longer than usual but I kept at the slam and 2 days later passed the OCLT for FC but not CC.
The following day I did not pass the OCLT but CC dropped to 1.5 from 2.5.

I began observing the dog’s behavior as part of the test and slam process and I now believe my dog has a major effect based on my test values.

Ive got a 8foot long 9” deep
Sun shelf in the pool where he likes to hang out. He does this thing where he puts his bottom legs on the next step down from the sun shelf and rests his upper body on the sun shelf. He will lounge like that off and on throughout the day, swim a few laps, and return to his lounge spot. I noticed he was chilling in my pool after I added the 0.8 gal of chlorine as mentioned above and I’m convinced now he’s sometimes peeing in the pool, or his marinating in the water like that is bringing enough organic material into the water to mess up my readings (or both). I can’t otherwise explain why my FC didn’t move up the 5-6ppm 2 hours after I added the Cl so late in the day and why my CC’s are bouncing between 1.5 and 2.5. I suspect this is also why my SWG was not keeping up after the party was done. The dog was so happy that the water was warm again he was back in the pool constantly.

I put him in the house the following night and this time passed my OCLT for FC but the CC had only dropped to 1.5.

It’s not practical to keep him out of the pool, But I’m also not sure I need to slam anymore. I’m planning to finish it out over the weekend and then get my CYA back up and put the SWG on and just watch it closely. I don’t think I’ll ever get my CC down to 0.5 or 0 as long as he’s in the water.

Just wanted to share that experience and see if anyone had any thoughts on fundamental flaws in my logic or if I’m on the right track.

Pic of the little %#^* in his lounge pose attached.

Many thanks for all the info I s learned on this site.

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    703.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5540.jpeg
    IMG_5540.jpeg
    361.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: treimche
Welcome to TFP.

What FC level do you maintain with what CYA when not SLAMing the pool?

What model SWG do you have and how long do you run your pump daily?

BTW, we round up CYA so 75 is reported as 80 and 55 is reported as 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi mdragger,

I have an ichlor-30. I aim for 10-12ppm FC and try to keep the CYA around 75. I have read that we round up on CYA so I do treat it as 80.

I run the pump all day but vary the speed between day time and evening. So I’ve got it at about 43 Gpm from 7am-7pm and then drop to about 23GPm in the evening. Just enough to keep the skimmers going to collect any dog hair that might have accumulated on the surface.

What puzzled me is I’ve never let the FC drop below 4. When I noticed the cloudiness after the party I checked the chlorine levels and I was at 5.5 (down from 12 before the party). I put Liquid chlorine in to get me back up to 12 but my SWG was unable to keep it from falling back down. Once I fell back down around five, I started the slam process.

I’ve been slamming a crystal clear pool for three weeks and it wasn’t until a few days ago that it dawned on me that my dog could be the one scorching all my chlorine.

Couple of points.
If you have a pool party - best to raise FC prior to and after the party. Use liquid chlorine as it raises it quickly and avoids having to adjust the SWCG. Since you are in FL, go to Pinch A Penny as they have fresh LC in 2.5 gal container

Dogs carry a lot of bacteria. That is why county health depts ban dogs from public pools. In addition to bacteria, the dog hair can clog filters. We all have been there, just be aware that the pool needs more attention if your dogs sees lots of pool time.

My sample size is small with *4* dogs who swam over the years, but I noticed some time ago they all got out to pee.

Couple of points.
If you have a pool party - best to raise FC prior to and after the party. Use liquid chlorine as it raises it quickly and avoids having to adjust the SWCG. Since you are in FL, go to Pinch A Penny as they have fresh LC in 2.5 gal container

Dogs carry a lot of bacteria. That is why county health depts ban dogs from public pools. In addition to bacteria, the dog hair can clog filters. We all have been there, just be aware that the pool needs more attention if your dogs sees lots of pool time.
Great points. I do the PAP 2.5 refills regularly and as a new pool owner it only took me a year to figure out to raise FC before a party 🤪 but I now know to give it a boost after the party as well. As you suggested.

I’m just not sure if I’m right about whether my CC’s will invariably be in the 1.5-3 range with this dog constantly in the pool.

My sample size is small with *4* dogs who swam over the years, but I noticed some time ago they all got out to pee.
He gets out to pee sometimes but I’m not sure he is doing it ALL the time. It’s a catch 22 in my yard. It’s all pine bark mulch over dirt. If he gets out to pee and/or bark at a neighbor on a walk then he is now a “sugar cookie” and back in the pool he goes. I have to run my dolphin every few days to get the sand out of the pool.

You may want to try cleaning your test vial with some alcohol. Sometimes they are dirty and the reason for persistent Cc readings. I think you'll have to get the pool clear and keep the dog out for 3 to 5 days to get a good baseline before coming up with a go forward plan.

You may want to try cleaning your test vial with some alcohol. Sometimes they are dirty and the reason for persistent Cc readings. I think you'll have to get the pool clear and keep the dog out for 3 to 5 days to get a good baseline before coming up with a go forward plan.
Good call on this! I cleaned it out w alcohol and I’m at CC of 1. Haven’t been that low in a while. Thank you.

When it comes to bather waste, including the dogo, it’s not just the obvious as in the pee. Sweat is a large portion and dogs run a higher body temp than humans. I think it would be very hard to quantify a bacterial load introduced by a dog but humans or dogs in and out will increase the transfer of bacteria and algae into the pool. Sounds like is a pool with a high bather load where a little more attention is needed.

Maximize your hypochlorous acid concentration. Limit your CyA target to 70ppm and a tighter control on you pH to 7.6. And remember that when your over a FC of 10pm the pH and TA tests can be compromised.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to all who replied. I brought the dog in last night and passed the overnight chlorine test and after cleaning the vial with alcohol, my combined chlorine is at 0.5. I think a dirty vial was giving me a false reading on the CC, and a night swim from the dog was making me fail my OCLT. I’m pretty sure I would’ve passed my overnight chlorine test at least two weeks ago if I noticed and brought the dog in.

Any idea how long it takes for the free chlorine to level out after the final bather has left the pool for the evening? Trying to plan for future slams and it would be good to have an idea of when to restrict the last bather before setting a free chlorine baseline for the night.

Any idea how long it takes for the free chlorine to level out after the final bather has left the pool for the evening? Trying to plan for future slams and it would be good to have an idea of when to restrict the last bather before setting a free chlorine baseline for the night.
Not sure I understand this question. The goal is to NEVER have to SLAM. Now maybe you are thinking raising chlorine level after a party is a SLAM which it is not. The best solution would be to stay on the upper end of the FC range for your CYA level.

Not sure I understand this question. The goal is to NEVER have to SLAM. Now maybe you are thinking raising chlorine level after a party is a SLAM which it is not. The best solution would be to stay on the upper end of the FC range for your CYA level.
Let me rephrase the question and add a second one while I’m at it.

First question is based on trying to avoid a lot of tail chasing for a OCLT with bad baseline FC data in the evening. Im pretty sure I’ve been chasing my own tail due to taking my evening FC measurement too soon after a final bather has exited the pool. Based on the fact that you would want to wait about an hour after adding chlorine to the pool before testing the levels, I’m wondering if the opposite is true for final bather exit. For example, if I add a gallon of Cl at 6pm and have people (or a dog) swimming at 8pm, I could test FC at 8 PM because the gallon of Cl I added will be well distributed throughout the water by then…but I’m not sure the organic material introduced by the dog or other bathers will have been fully oxidized if I test the water at 8 PM. Let’s say for example I get a free chlorine level of 24 right at 8 PM and I use that as my basis for OCLT, how would I know my values that I read in the morning are truly due to overnight loss from something nefarious in the pool or if it’s just simply a few ppm loss due to late bathers in the pool? So the question is how long after the last bather leaves the pool should I wait to test the chlorine level? Is it just like adding chlorine to the pool where you should wait 30 minutes to an hour?

The second question is whether there is any downside to routinely having my FC level fall in between the upper recommended maintenance level and a SLAM level? For example with SWG and plaster pool CYA of 70 says aim for FC of 8-10 but slam level is 28. Trying to dial in my SWG with this dog and bathers in the pool is tricky and I’m constantly adjusting the output. Based on everything I’ve read here, FC just shy of SLAM level doesn’t hurt my equipment or cause bather discomfort. So my tendency using the above example numbers is to be ok with FC to float between about 10 and 24 or so. I’d probably aim for 15 because of this dog so I have some buffer. Seems that’s a better move than letting it float between 4-8 because one good swim from this dog and I can lose 4-6ppm of FC within an hour.

Let me rephrase the question and add a second one while I’m at it.

First question is based on trying to avoid a lot of tail chasing for a OCLT with bad baseline FC data in the evening. Im pretty sure I’ve been chasing my own tail due to taking my evening FC measurement too soon after a final bather has exited the pool. Based on the fact that you would want to wait about an hour after adding chlorine to the pool before testing the levels, I’m wondering if the opposite is true for final bather exit. For example, if I add a gallon of Cl at 6pm and have people (or a dog) swimming at 8pm, I could test FC at 8 PM because the gallon of Cl I added will be well distributed throughout the water by then…but I’m not sure the organic material introduced by the dog or other bathers will have been fully oxidized if I test the water at 8 PM. Let’s say for example I get a free chlorine level of 24 right at 8 PM and I use that as my basis for OCLT, how would I know my values that I read in the morning are truly due to overnight loss from something nefarious in the pool or if it’s just simply a few ppm loss due to late bathers in the pool? So the question is how long after the last bather leaves the pool should I wait to test the chlorine level? Is it just like adding chlorine to the pool where you should wait 30 minutes to an hour?

One bather in the pool is not going to make a difference to the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test unless you pee in the pool.

I have no experience with dogs in the pool.

I would just ensure no one goes in the pool when you plan to do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

The second question is whether there is any downside to routinely having my FC level fall in between the upper recommended maintenance level and a SLAM level? For example with SWG and plaster pool CYA of 70 says aim for FC of 8-10 but slam level is 28. Trying to dial in my SWG with this dog and bathers in the pool is tricky and I’m constantly adjusting the output. Based on everything I’ve read here, FC just shy of SLAM level doesn’t hurt my equipment or cause bather discomfort. So my tendency using the above example numbers is to be ok with FC to float between about 10 and 24 or so. I’d probably aim for 15 because of this dog so I have some buffer. Seems that’s a better move than letting it float between 4-8 because one good swim from this dog and I can lose 4-6ppm of FC within an hour.
There is no problem running FC hot up to SLAM level other then the pH test is not valid with FC over 10.

One bather in the pool is not going to make a difference to the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test unless you pee in the pool.

I have no experience with dogs in the pool.

I would just ensure no one goes in the pool when you plan to do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

There is no problem running FC hot up to SLAM level other then the pH test is not valid with FC over 10.
Awesome. Thanks guys!

Also just for posterity on the site, I bought a 50ml borosilicate glass beaker to replace the “chlorine only” plastic one in my tfp 100 kit. My combined chlorines are now zero and have been since I started using the glass beaker. My FC readings also seem more repeatable.