Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well, I've gone and done it. I got a sand filter and pump -- this one, off eBay from Pool Supply World.

It has a 4 function MPV, 12 inches, rated for up to 10K gal aboveground pools. Mine is 4000 gallons, so it's a good fit. Holds 42 lbs of sand, #20 grade. 30 gpm. 1 hp pump. Should take care of the pool without creating a maelstrom in it! And the price was right. :mrgreen:

I was wondering, can I take off the MPV that comes with it and replace it with a 6 function valve? Or is that something a DIY 'er doesn't need to get involved in?

Also, pros and cons of filter balls, glass or zeolite over tried and true sand?

Last edited:
I was wondering, can I take off the MPV that comes with it and replace it with a 6 function valve? Or is that something a DIY 'er doesn't need to get involved in?

Also, pros and cons of filter balls, glass or zeolite over tried and true sand?
I'm not sure you'll be able to find a 6-way valve that'll fit that filter. It's probably best to leave it alone.

Sand is the easiest, best, and cheapest way to go. You won't go wrong with just regular filter sand. The other media may be fine, or they may not be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.