Getting ready to SLAM

Replies in red.
I check an hour after dumping in chlorine - as outlined on the SLAM page. I started yesterday afternoon (dumping in a total of 15 gallons of 12% chlorine in 4 doses) and not once have I got a FC reading greater than 3 after an hour (CC does go up, however). Same thing today, so far I have put in 10 gallons, no reading above 3.
The reason why your CC is going up but your FC is stable - there is something consuming the bleach. Can you please post your FC and CC results?

I actually did partially drain and refill, that's how I got the CYA down to 70, I am not really able (or willing) to do that again at this point.
You can SLAM at CYA 70 but note that you will need quite a significant amount of bleach.

My frustration here is that I have not ever got it above 3, nowhere near the required 28. I don't doubt the process will work, I doubt I will be able to get it there.
You WILL get there. Once you get rid of whatever is consuming the bleach, your FC levels will rise.

I don't know how to put my pool stats in the signature. It's a 17000 gallon in ground, vinyl liner, sand filter (new sand last year), 16x32, six foot deep end.
Go to "Settings" (top right), "Edit signature", enter those details in the text box which appears and hit save.

I have scrubbed what I can see/reach, and I have vacuumed (even though I can't see). I have not seen the bottom of this pool in two years. I can't get in to scrub now because of the high chlorine level, but it has been scrubbed and I do continue to do the best I can with no visibility below about 1 1/2 - 2 feet.
Continue to vacuum blind.

+1 on Abigail's post ^^^^^

The thing to remember is that unless there is something wrong with your chlorine or test kit (both unlikely) then the chlorine you add is being eaten up by something in the water. The idea of a SLAM is to aggressively add chlorine (add/test/add/test...) so you reach that point quickly, rather than taking a WAG at what's in the water and dumping a big pile in at once.

You need to get the FC level up in order to get ahead of what's in the water (unless you're dealing with an ammonia problem, in which case you just need to add enough chlorine eventually) -- wondering if it would be worth testing & adding every 30 minutes until your FC comes up. With an algae problem if you add chlorine slowly enough you can add it forever and not get anywhere...
I agree. :goodjob: Testing/dosing/adding every 30 minutes, pump running. That would get you ahead of it the fastest.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.