Getting ready to drain / exchange water and start liquid chlorine instead of trichlor

abradleydvm

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
Denison , tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all ,

I will attach pics of my pool equipment and pool . My pool is a sports pool with 3 1/2 foot on each end with 5 1/2 in middle . Questions :

1.) Based on my equipment can I do water exchange with my pool pump and a hose or do I need a separate pump ? If so do I hook hose up and drain while adding fill water at same time ?

2.) Can someone tell me on average how much bleach they think I will need daily during the summer months vs winter once I get my CYA level back to normal . We are unable to add a SWG at this time and so we will be doing manual chlorination . I want to make sure I have and keep enough bleach on hand . Also when adding where do I add it ( if this is on pool school just tell me where as I am still reading )

3.) I have a spa with fountain as part of the pool . I assume this is why my ph climbs up easily ? In the past the pool store guy would raise my TA really high ... is it because trichlor drops it and so does the fountain . I am going to stop the tabs this next week when I drain / exchange the water .

Attachments

• 97974B67-38B9-40F8-BB69-D5D74A6FF694.jpeg
    97974B67-38B9-40F8-BB69-D5D74A6FF694.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 32
  • A02274A2-B328-4ED8-BC75-B137041180C4.jpeg
    A02274A2-B328-4ED8-BC75-B137041180C4.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 34
  • B97E99F9-9E19-40F0-A60E-4A842170A575.jpeg
    B97E99F9-9E19-40F0-A60E-4A842170A575.jpeg
    430.9 KB · Views: 28
Do not use your pool pump to drain/exchange. Use a sump pump.

The process of exchange depends on your water temperature's and water chemistry.
If you place a low volume sub pump in the deep end and pull water from there while adding water in the shallow end (through a skimmer or into a bucket on a step so you lessen the water disturbance) you can do a fairly efficient exchange. That is assuming the water you are filling with is the same temperature or warmer than your pool water. If your fill water is much cooler than your pool water, then switch it. Add the water to the deep end (hose on bottom) and pull water from the top step.

The location of the pump and fill hose may change if you have salt water, high calcium, etc.
In my pool, with saltwater and high calcium when I drain, I put the pump in the deep end and hose in shallow end. The water in the pool weighs more per unit volume than the fill water from the hose.

Be sure to balance the water out and water in so the pool level stays the same. Also be sure your pool pump is disabled during this process. Once started do not stop until you have exchanged the amount of water you wish.

You will use 2-4 ppm FC each day during swim season. Shoulder months will be 1-2 ppm per day. Winter will be minimal.

As far as your spa and pH climb. It appears you have automation. What do you have? Can you add that to your signature? You should be able to set up a Spillover function to run the spa a couple times per day for a short period to chlorinate it.

As far as your spa and pH climb. It appears you have automation. What do you have? Can you add that to your signature? You should be able to set up a Spillover function to run the spa a couple times per day for a short period to chlorinate it.
Forgive my ignorance but I don’t know ... i assume automation because I only adjust pool chemistry based on previous pool store ? advice

Your pool equipment has powered valves. Automation (or something) is needed to operate those valves.

How do you turn on your spa?

You have an EasyTouch. Let's put that in your signature.

Do you also have an In Floor Cleaning System?

OK

Once you finish your exchange of water, we can discuss how to set up your system to only run the spa spillover part time. The in floor cleaning system will come in to play and may not allow it to be reduced much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the mean time ... of my water level is too high because of rain do I have to use a sump pump to drain just a little for my skimmers to work well or can I use the pump ? If so do I hook hose up and leave pump running ?

If you have an outlet at your equipment pad, you can use that to drain a small amount of water. Do not leave it unattended.

Hello all ... I’ve been tfpn’ it since August 26th and feel like I have a routine . No SWG so I am manually adding . My sump pump came in and I would like to do a water exchange today .

Fill water temp = 79
Pool water temp = 86
Fill water chem = TC=3, ph 8.2, CH 175, TA 90

I assume based on previous response / water temp that sump pump goes in shallow end / step and hose goes in deep end ?

My CYA is 80 and last week’s test was most likely flawed because I have no source of CYA to explain raise in number . The test is a challenge for me as I’ve tried outside light , inside light and everything in between and still doubt results . Based on this number , how much water do I exchange and how do I measure the amount during an exchange ?

Thank you all for your guidance ... I have come to the conclusion ... There is clear pool water and then there is TFP clear pool water ... BIG ... HUGE difference !?I personally prefer the TFP clear ... amazing !

Hello all ... I’ve been tfpn’ it since August 26th and feel like I have a routine . No SWG so I am manually adding . My sump pump came in and I would like to do a water exchange today .

Fill water temp = 79
Pool water temp = 86

I assume based on previous response / water temp that sump pump goes in shallow end / step and hose goes in deep end ?

My CYA is 80 and last week’s test was most likely flawed because I have no source of CYA to explain raise in number . The test is a challenge for me as I’ve tried outside light , inside light and everything in between and still doubt results . Based on this number , how much water do I exchange and how do I measure the amount during an exchange ?

Thank you all for your guidance ... I have come to the conclusion ... There is clear pool water and then there is TFP clear pool water ... BIG ... HUGE difference !?I personally prefer the TFP clear ... amazing !

Attachments

• 7B81EA14-CBD2-4145-943C-77589E23B726.png
    7B81EA14-CBD2-4145-943C-77589E23B726.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 6

Fill water temp = 79
Pool water temp = 86

My CYA is 80 and last week’s test was most likely flawed because I have no source of CYA to explain raise in number . The test is a challenge for me as I’ve tried outside light , inside light and everything in between and still doubt results . Based on this number , how much water do I exchange and how do I measure the amount during an exchange ? I bought 1/4 HP Superior utility pump and a 1 1/2 “ x 50 pool master vacuum hose based on a amazon recommendation . When I tested it the hose does not really thread on using the adapter so I just gently attached .... pretty tight but have some leakage out top , but good flow . Is this a concern? I looked at chart based on diameter and length of hose and table doesn’t go that high for gallons per minute estimate . Any advice

I just added a gallon of 10% bleach after testing this morning to get above high end of target for my CYA based on pool math prior to exchange .... see attached values from this morning

Any and all advice is appreciated .

Attachments

• 459AEF00-9FBF-4CE2-A290-E97395AF6D5D.png
    459AEF00-9FBF-4CE2-A290-E97395AF6D5D.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.