Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Looks like some wind and a lot of rain are headed our way. As we prepare, we'll drain the pool a few inches (it's already very full), take down umbrellas, raise FC levels and get some extra chlorine to have on hand in case we have an issue after Elsa passes.

What are you doing to get your TFP Elsa-ready?

I vote that anyone who has the least inkling that they may lose power bring the pool to SLAM level (FC/CYA Levels) before hand.

it can do no harm and very well could save the day.

it’s also a huge deal to mix that rainwater in every few hours, with or without power. You don’t want untreated water sitting on top. Sure some mixes with the pool but not really until it warms up first. If the sun comes out in the meantime it’s a fast track to an algae bloom.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I vote that anyone who has the least inkling that they may lose power bring the pool to SLAM level (FC/CYA Levels) before hand.

it can do no harm and very well could save the day.

it’s also a huge deal to mix that rainwater in every few hours, with or without power. You don’t want untreated water sitting on top. Sure some mixes with the pool but not really until it warms up first. If the sun comes out in the meantime it’s a fast track to an algae bloom.
How do you mix the rain water in without power?

I don’t live where hurricanes come in but I live where the rain from them wears us out in WNC. Especially gulf hurricanes. When I get an idea on how much rain is possible, I drain down the pool as much as as 5-6 inches. That’s below my skimmer. Dump in my bleach and if wind is involved, I get my neighbors over and we cover the pool in a leaf net. I have a submersible pump that I place on the top step, run the hose down the hill and if it continues to rain, I can run it. I’ve only done this twice in 6 years thankfully. As it stands I can handle on any given day 3-4 inches of rain and then I must pump. As a borate user this hurts my heart to do so y’all keep your Elsa to yourselves. I’m in no mood to fool with her. I’m not even gonna look at the weather.

How do you mix the rain water in without power?
You have to swish it around manually but it will disperse on its own eventually. Just keep yourself safe and don’t worry about it. It’s just water and it can be fixed later. Question I have. Nearly everyone in my area has some sort of generator for power loss. Usually for winter time because of freak snow and ice storms and rural mountain living. I would have thought hurricane prone homes would have generators too but it doesn’t seem to be the case. How come?

Reactions: Newdude
You have to swish it around manually but it will disperse on its own eventually. Just keep yourself safe and don’t worry about it. It’s just water and it can be fixed later. Question I have. Nearly everyone in my area has some sort of generator for power loss. Usually for winter time because of freak snow and ice storms and rural mountain living. I would have thought hurricane prone homes would have generators too but it doesn’t seem to be the case. How come?
Cost, and we're mostly suburban and urban, so not having power doesn't mean not having water (we're not on a well, so don't have a pump that needs to run). That said, we actually bought a generator recently so that we can have AC when we camp without hookups. But you're right... it's not that common down here.

Reactions: Newdude and Selenap
We are in The villages Central Florida. We will probably drop pool level just below the skimmer. That will give us a four or five inch buffer. Utilities and power here are underground and have been very reliable in hurricanes... But liquid chlorine and brush on standby.

We are in The villages Central Florida. We will probably drop pool level just below the skimmer. That will give us a four or five inch buffer. Utilities and power here are underground and have been very reliable in hurricanes... But liquid chlorine and brush on standby.
I need to add CYA (it's drifted down to 50) but I'm going to wait until later in the week. I don't want my new CYA diluted, then drained due to the storm, and I might as well have it on the low side in case I have to SLAM later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you mix the rain water in without power
Most people won't lose power.

The pool brush or a paddle will help those that do like said above. Or they could swim to mix it. A grandson cannonball competition would certainly kill two birds with one stone. 😁

Reactions: willygee
Any predictions on rain amount here in Central Florida? I thought I saw between 2.75 and 4 in on an earlier broadcast.
Looks like the path is moving west. Mike's Weather Page... powered by Firman Power Equipment!
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0521WPCQPF+gif/235618WPCQPF_sm.gif makes it look like a serious rain-maker. I'd like to drain to below the skimmer, but have never done that before. I guess I manually turn the skimmer valve so that it doesn't try to suck in the air...

Do you have a dedicated valve for your skimmer only? My system has the dedicated valve and I can draw the water down below the skimmer. You can experiment with it now by shutting it off and you should see no circulation or turbulence in your skimmer basket.

You read my mind! It looks like we can do that. I'm starting to drain now, because it looks like the bands are going to get here in the not too distant future. No reason to run around in the rain if I don't have to. When it gets close to the skimmer level, I'll turn off the skimmer valve. Right now I'm cooling down in the pool since we just spent the last hour or so getting all the fly away stuff secured. All of you in West Central Florida can thank me, because everything we do to prepare makes it get farther away from us. 😆

When your skimmer valve is closed be sure to have your main drains open to keep the suction side of your pump happy. Also do you have a cleaning port which typically has a your pool vacuum attached?

When your skimmer valve is closed be sure to have your main drains open to keep the suction side of your pump happy. Also do you have a cleaning port which typically has a your pool vacuum attached?
We have a cleaning port that we have never used, although I need to figure it out.. our robot isn't getting the corners of the spa floor as clean as I'd like. Main drains are open, skimmer closed, pressure is ok so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.