Getting Confused CYA/FC

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
I’m keeping up with the forum and as I read about CYA and FC levels and with my experience I’m starting to get confused. I realize pool and HT chemistry are different. Here’s my scenario. For the first 6 months I got CYA to 30 with Dichlor and switched to liquid Chlorine. My wife and I use the HT every night. I always had to add 2-3 oz of 10% every night to have my morning check read 2-4 ppm. And some mornings FC would be 0.
I used AquaClarity every week. Cleaned and changed filter every month. CH 150, TA 60, pH 7.8, borate 50.

Now that I drained and purged and refilled, my chlorine doesn’t go away. It stays up there. I’m not having to add every day like I was doing. This morning I was at 5.5 FC.

Since I’m just starting up with new water, I’m still less than 20 ppm CYA. Here’s my question. It would seem to me that lower CYA increases the longevity of the FC.

Was there something going on in the previous 6 months (with my new tub that had been initially purged with Awwsome) that I was missing?

What has happened that is causing me to add chlorine much less often? Heck, it will take me weeks of adding dichlor to get my CYA up to 30??????

It would seem to me that lower CYA increases the longevity of the FC.
I wouldn't say that so much. The higher FC-to-CYA ratio will make the FC a bit more harsh/strong, but not last longer. This tub is covered or protected from the sun I assume? Perhaps the slower FC loss now has more to do with that AquaClarity product you were using. Have you put any of it in on this new fill? Perhaps that stuff was somehow using-up some of your chlorine. :scratch: I wonder if @Donldson has any experience with that product.

This morning my Cl is 4.5 using the TFP test kit. Hey, I’m extremely happy. Don’t get me wrong. Just trying to figure out what was eating up my Cl before??? Don’t wanna go there again.