Getting a new cartridge filter coming from DE what would you install?

estcstpool

Oct 10, 2013
Virginia
Getting a new cartridge filter coming from DE what would you install? It seems at a high level all the new 4 cartrigdge systems are about the same. I have about a 22k gallon vinly pool with single speed pump. Im looking at the 400+ sq/ft cartridge filters. My pool guy who helps me open and close pushs the Jandy CL series and the Pentair clean and clear. Two items of concern would be ease of maintence and reoccuring cost for filters. Would love some feedback from people experience with these or another brand I should look at like Jacuizzi or Heyward.

Please update your signature with pool size and equipment specifics (including manufacturers, model numbers and test kit).
You say your pool is 22k and vinyl, signature shows 15k and plaster.

A Pentair CCP 420 or 520 would probably serve you well.
You can Google those and get an idea of replacement cartridge cost.
Cartridges should last 5-7 years or longer if you take good care of them.

Whatever brand you ultimately choose, get the largest filter you can afford. Bigger filter, longer frequency between cleanings.

Please update your signature with pool size and equipment specifics (including manufacturers, model numbers and test kit).
You say your pool is 22k and vinyl, signature shows 15k and plaster.

A Pentair CCP 420 or 520 would probably serve you well.
You can Google those and get an idea of replacement cartridge cost.
Cartridges should last 5-7 years or longer if you take good care of them.

Whatever brand you ultimately choose, get the largest filter you can afford. Bigger filter, longer frequency between cleanings.
@proavia a will do sorry. I used to live in florida and that was my old pool, im now in VA and have the vinly pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
+1 with Jim. I absolutely LOVE my sta-rite S8m500 but its over $2k these days. The Crystal Water system only has to last 40% as long to be worth it and it will likely last much longer than that.

i was thinking Pentaire CC 420 for 22k gallons. Thats still oversized correct?
It is. But the gallons are mostly irrelevant. You could build a pool twice as deep for twice the gallons and the surface area of the perimeter would catch the same amount of falling debris for both pools.

Surface area and the amount of crud blowing/falling in your yard are everything. 400s will work GREAT for you. 500s would need 25% less cleanings than that.

Reactions: Mdragger88
est,

Oversized based upon what criteria??

I don't believe in theory that you should size your filter based upon the volume of your pool. In my tiny mind, the bigger the filter the less back pressure there is and the slower you can run your pump, and the less often you have to clean the filter.

Of course at some point, the less it matters how big it is... :mrgreen:

I think it would be pretty hard to tell the operational difference between a CCP-420 and a CCP-520.

I see no problem with you getting the 420 if that is what you want.

As pointed out by Gene in post #2, the cartridges should last at least 5 years and more likely 7 to 10 years.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mdragger88

I have a CCP420 on a 12k pool. I just cleaned it for the first time yesterday - after one year in service.
I'm not sure it actually needed cleaning, but thought it prudent to open it and look. And, as long as it was open..... clean the cartridges.
If I had the vertical space (equipment cover), I would have installed a CCP520.

There is NO such thing as an oversized filter in my book.

I just purchased a Crystal Water Cartridge filter 520sqft. It is not installed yet but i did unbox it and I don’t see any reason why it wont last. When i do need to replace my cartridges i do plan to upgrade to a better material (for easier cleaning) but that is a few years down the road.

I bought it because the cost was the most competitive and others that have or have it also say they have had no issues, from what i have found. I saved some money while also having a larger surface area prolonging how often i need to clean it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all lots of food for thought. I have a leak in my pool right now so im replacing all return and skimmer lines that were 1.5 poly to 2" PVC. Between that and i think this new 420cc filter im thinking my flow will be drastically improved over my current DE setup. Right now I have a single stage pump so the running at lower speed is not really a concern for me now.

Was reading about the waterway bases cracking....

Last edited:
I just purchased a Crystal Water Cartridge filter 520sqft. It is not installed yet but i did unbox it and I don’t see any reason why it wont last. When i do need to replace my cartridges i do plan to upgrade to a better material (for easier cleaning) but that is a few years down the road.

I bought it because the cost was the most competitive and others that have or have it also say they have had no issues, from what i have found. I saved some money while also having a larger surface area prolonging how often i need to clean it.
Where did you order from? Is this the newer model that doesnt have the side handles that were prone to cracking?

Thanks all lots of food for thought. I have a leak in my pool right now so im replacing all return and skimmer lines that were 1.5 poly to 2" PVC. Between that and i think this new 420cc filter im thinking my flow will be drastically improved over my current DE setup. Right now I have a single stage pump so the running at lower speed is not really a concern for me now.

Was reading about the waterway bases cracking....
Going with the lower cost crystal water option may help you add to your pump budget & possibly upgrade to a 2 speed or vsp for the energy savings they provide. Food for thought 💭

Reactions: Newdude
Where did you order from? Is this the newer model that doesnt have the side handles that were prone to cracking?
I ordered it from polytecpools. The link below is the exact one.

To Mdragger88’s point, doing the more cost effective filter allowed me to get the new pentair intelliflo3 with that nifty IO board.
I will have a little automation now with that IO board and save a ton on electricity.

I also saw somewhere that if you wanted to convert this to a DE filter you can. All you have to do is change out the cartridges, ill see if i can find that write up again and send to you if your interested.

I also saw somewhere that if you wanted to convert this to a DE filter you can.
There is zero need to filter another 5 microns out. Nobody can see the 30 microns (thousands of an inch) that a sand filter misses with a naked eye. Seeing the 5 microns difference between carts and DE s even more ridiculous.

It's bragging rights and nothing else. (y)

Reactions: BenTX
There is zero need to filter another 5 microns out. Nobody can see the 30 microns (thousands of an inch) that a sand filter misses with a naked eye. Seeing the 5 microns difference between carts and DE s even more ridiculous.

It's bragging rights and nothing else. (y)

Absolutely agree with you on that. Just mentioning that if for some reason you want to, that it is an option. I'm coming from de to cartridge just for simplicity, I have no desire to go back.

Cool yeah im torn about going with sand but like the idea of the water being "cleaner" with the cartridge.
I add a small amount of de to my sand which helps with the finer particles & my pool stays crystal clear.
There’s many ways to skin this cat.
The main advantage of the cartridge filter is not dealing with the backwash water.
The disadvantage is that you must clean the filters manually at some point.
If you get an oversized filter (no matter which one) the cleaning/backwashing will be a somewhat rare occurrence if you keep your pool algae free. I have a 250# sand filter & 26k gal pool. I backwash approximately 3-4x’s a season which includes opening & closing. My season is 7 months long.
A large sand filter takes up more space than it’s comparable cartridge or de counter parts usually so that must also be considered.
Sand filters are easier/quicker to clean (backwash) & take a little longer to clog if you are dealing with algae. Hopefully with TFPC methods this will be a non issue.
They are also generally cheaper than their de or cartridge counterparts of comparable size. Most cartridge set ups don’t have a waste or recirculate option so if you want that you will need a separate multi port valve. Not sure what your set up is now (if your mpv is integrated with your filter or separate).
If money were no object I would probably go with the largest cartridge filter I could find & not have to clean it more than yearly nor have to deal with the backwash water loss & drainage.
There is no wrong answer other than ensuring the filter you choose is at least adequately sized.
You just need to determine which attributes are most important to you.

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.