Getting a new AGP, have questions

Aug 7, 2018
Portland OR
After having an 18’ easyset pool the last 4 years we have decided to go bigger. We had planned to go with the Intex 16’x32’. Now that I read about all the recent rust issues I am hesitant and looking at other brands, but for $1200 might still be worth a shot? While brand is still up in the air, suggestions appreciated, I was looking for advice on whether or not to put the pool on a concrete pad or would it be better to level a spot on our lawn? This forum has a lot of great info and seems very friendly, glad I found it so I can lean on you guys for all my silly future questions!

I love my Ultra Frame.

We chose to level a spot in the yard and have no regrets.

The most important thing is that the area is flat, level, and able to support the weight of the pool. Always dig down the high spots, avoid filling the low spots.

On concrete I would use a foam pad under the pool for comfort.

I love my Ultra Frame.

We chose to level a spot in the yard and have no regrets.

The most important thing is that the area is flat, level, and able to support the weight of the pool. Always dig down the high spots, avoid filling the low spots.

On concrete I would use a foam pad under the pool for comfort.

Thanks for the info, can I ask how old your Intex pool is and if you have any problems with rust?

- - - Updated - - -

+1 what domct203 said

Thanks Mariane! You’ve had your pool up for 7years? That seems like a pretty good endorsement for Doughboy pools.

I’m on my fourth season with the pool, and I’m just now starting to see a bit of rust on the ends of the top tubes, and on some of the welds of the T connectors. I’ll touch up the rust at the end of the season, & I don’t see why I won’t get another 2-3 seasons out of it.

Best $400 I ever spent on a family item. We got it as our “test” pool, and were thinking we would of had to replace it by now LOL.

I’m on my fourth season with the pool, and I’m just now starting to see a bit of rust on the ends of the top tubes, and on some of the welds of the T connectors. I’ll touch up the rust at the end of the season, & I don’t see why I won’t get another 2-3 seasons out of it.

Best $400 I ever spent on a family item. We got it as our “test” pool, and were thinking we would of had to replace it by now LOL.

That’s a lot of bang for the buck for sure, thinking I’ll take a chance on the Intex. For the price, and if it lasts 3-5 years, will be worth it in entertainment value.

due to specific needs (I have to build a little wall on one side of the AGP) I found a third way to go wich you might consider.
It's sort of half way between concrete pad and ground leveling: I'll build a concrete frame on leveled ground. inner perimeter will have same dimensions as pool border, outer perimeter add 3 feet. vertical beams will have leveled concrete to support them, concrete frame will offer a solid sueface to fix deck.
inner frame wil be filled.with sand.
cost will be half of a concrete pad.
hope I explained

due to specific needs (I have to build a little wall on one side of the AGP) I found a third way to go wich you might consider.
It's sort of half way between concrete pad and ground leveling: I'll build a concrete frame on leveled ground. inner perimeter will have same dimensions as pool border, outer perimeter add 3 feet. vertical beams will have leveled concrete to support them, concrete frame will offer a solid sueface to fix deck.
hope I explained

That is a great idea!

hope I explained

so, like a sidewalk around the perimeter of the pool. Great idea.

Thanks Mariane! You’ve had your pool up for 7years? That seems like a pretty good endorsement for Doughboy pools.

Thank CurtisPDX! We really love our pool!
The pool is actually 15 years old, we got it used 13 years ago and just replaced the liner and had to do a bit of rehab on it this year.
I had trashed the liner over the years before TFP while we were poolstored. Started looking for alternatives and found TFP in 2011 and joined 2012. :swim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.