Golden Retriever Is Here

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I would like to know if anyone, who has a golden retriever, could shed some light on how to train a puppy. Are there any good forums out there that can help me with transitioning into a good dog trainer for golden retrievers? I've always wanted a dog... ALWAYS... and never got one. I wanted a pool and spent 6 years perfecting my Oasis. Now it's time for me to full-fill my dream and get my golden retriever. I may have a litter of pups soon by the breeder this September or October, but wanted to get a start on what I need to do to prepare myself for this puppy.

I wish I had this forum when I was thinking of getting a pool. I would have made a lot of better decisions when it came to contracting my pool. Now that I'm looking into getting a GR, I want to make sure I start on the right track.

Reactions: jark87
I won’t be much help here. We are in that middle group where our dogs are reasonably well behaved (but not great for sure) and we are consistent among the family in giving direction. We’ve done several training things like puppy school and the invisible fence, but have no great thoughts other than consistency from the various household members. I’d love to have a dog that would walk next to me without a leash in a crowd of distractions. But probably not in the cards at this point. Good for you on searching out your sources and methods beforehand.

Reactions: Mendy48
Yeah! I think the best bet will be to do the training myself. I’m a chemist/scientist by trade only, so I have lots of time on my hands to do this on my own. Lots. I think I’m just afraid of failing my puppy. I want to be a great parent to my puppy, while at the same time train him effectively.

Another thing is that I wouldn’t like it if he were to jump in the pool. I have a vinyl liner and I’m worried that he may rip it. Lots of training to do huh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There was an Under Construction thread just the last couple days about the same issue. I thought they determined it was not an issue. You do need to train them how to get out of the pool.

You are better off with the ABG because some ingrounds have liner covered stairs. There are no 2 ways about walking on those. You can train yours to use the hard stairs and not be an issue. We finally got our puppy using them exclusively. He just wanted to go the shortest way for a few months. Now he gets it, the stairs are *that* way. It took many tries with someone on either side of him to steer him back the right direction.

Crate training! I thought it was so cruel at first, but two dogs now have shown me the light. Read up on Crate Training, it helps teach them bowel and bladder training cause dogs don't want to mess up their beds,...... even now my dog goes back to lay in her crate at times for self comfort, such as during fireworks. The crate is open at all time these days, and she has a big padded bed too not far away. Both are in the living room, not tucked away, as they're family.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: bmoreswim
You are better off with the ABG because some ingrounds have liner covered stairs. There are no 2 ways about walking on those. You can train yours to use the hard stairs and not be an issue. We finally got our puppy using them exclusively. He just wanted to go the shortest way for a few months. Now he gets it, the stairs are *that* way. It took many tries with someone on either side of him to steer him back the right direction.
Is ABG above ground? Yeah! We have the ladders going out of the pool, and I wasn’t sure if I could teach a golden retriever to get out with those ladders below. The best option would be to get an above ground pool (Portable) for the GR and have him use that. I haven’t raised a dog yet, so I’m not confident that I can teach him to use the ladders in my pool.

image.jpg

I had a brain flatulence and thought you were above ground. Even though it’s in your Avatar. Apologies. Do you have Acrylic stairs at least or are they liner covered, or only ladders ? Ladders won’t work.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I had a brain flatulence and thought you were above ground. Even though it’s in your Avatar. Apologies. Do you have Acrylic stairs are least or are they liner covered, or only ladders ? Ladders won’t work.
I have the ladders only... so yeah! Definitely my GR can’t go in the pool. I have to teach him to stay away from the pool. This is what’s making me nervous.

+1 on the crates. It’s their own little ‘home’ that they love. They come and go from it at will and will run to it if they are scared or in trouble for bad behavior. The first time you see the dog run for the crate, all the worry about them goes away.

I had a golden lab named Jolly Mon. His whole litter of 8 was there. He picked me. When I sat on the floor with all of them he came and plopped right in my lap and fell asleep! Well that was the last time he was still for the next 2.5 yrs :roll: LOL

consistency from the various household members.
This ^^^^^^^^ and all of this!!!!

Potty training (good luck) take him out when:
-he wakes up
-after he eats
-when he rolls over
-after he has been inside for more than 30 mins
-every time you look at him
-ALL OF THE TIME!!

WHEN he has an accident put yourself in the corner for not paying attention to him and seeing his signs.

When he does go potty outside have a potty party with all kinds of happy voice and petting and playing. Fine THE word you will say when you want him to potty. I used "go potty". When he went potty I would say GOOD GO POTTY!!! GOOD BOY!!! GOOD GO POTTY!

Crate training=the best thing ever!!! For the beginning do not put anything soft or chew upable in there with him. He WILL chew it and it could cause problems. Yes he might whine a bit but do NOT give in and take him out. He has to be quiet for a few mins before you open the door.

Pool=toes trimmed and smooth=drimel tool with a sandpaper barrel. This will take some time and after he is a bit older. You HAVE To have some kind of fence around the pool or a way to keep him OUT of the pool area for a while. Better safe than sorry. I will work with you on how to train him to this.

Mind exercise is the best thing to wear him out and learn at the same time. 15 mins of training=1 hour of running!!! Puppy push ups is what I call it. Sit, down, come, go to your place, over and over and over again. Mix it up so he cannot guess what you are going to say next.

Don't leave ANYTHING laying around for a good,long while!!! If he chews something it is YOUR fault for it being in his reach!!!

I can't wait to see him!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.