Getting a clear pool after alge in pool/transitioning away from pool store plan.

Jun 11, 2018
Kingsville MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
I wanted to post here because I recently have had an issue with Alge. This is the first year I have had any sort of pool and this event has pushed me into learning more about how to care for a pool. This has led me to this site which has been very informative.

I have just followed the first part of the pool stores instructions, here are the abbreviated instructions.
1. balance the pool.
2. Increase the ph to 7.8
3. Add Green To Clean and Power Powder (Calcium Hypo)
4. Wait 12 hours and add more Power Powder
5. Wait 12 more hours and add more Power Powder.
6. Add Clear Aid
7. Maintain with Perfect Weekly.

I have completed through steps 5 and my pool is still very cloudy. I want to know more about my pool levels so that I can know what I need. I plan on ordering a test kit soon but trying to figure out what I should do in the meantime. When I go back to the store I am sure that they will send me home with some clarifier. I want to avoid spending tons of money on various chemicals but since I don't have a good test kit (just some test strips) I don't know exactly what my levels are. This makes it difficult to maintain the proper chlorine levels. Is it ok to get them checked at the pool store then add a set amount of bleach/chlorine per day until I can test the levels? Do I need to plan on going through another shock via the slam method to get my pool clear or should I just give it some time?

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

No more pool store potions.

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

Until you get your kit, add 3/4 jug of bleach EACH DAY. Plain, no scent, not splashless, no fabric protection, bleach. Or, if you go to Walmart, go into their Pool aisle and get Pool Essentials Chlorinating liquid. You only need 1/2 jug of that daily as it is more concentrated.

Do not go back to the pool store.

Take care.

Stop doing what the pool store tells you. You now have unkown chemical soup. It is impossible for us to tell you what to do until we know some reliable test results.

Order a TF-100 TF-100 Test Kit â„¢ ASAP. Post the results and we can move forward.

I am waiting on my test kit but have two questions. 1. Do you think it is ok to swim in while cloudy? 2. Is there any way to start the SLAM with a cheap test from Walmart or something?

I wouldn’t swim in the pool until you know what your chemical levels are. Until you can establish your CYA (cyanuric) adding chlorine will be a guess. You’ll need to SLAM once you establish your numbers.

This is a very basic kit at Walmart. It has enough reagent for two CYA tests. https://www.walmart.com/ip/hth-6-Way-Test-Kit/101959375. The test strips can be tossed.

If your Walmart has this also look for chlorinating liquid in the pool isle. They sell a 2 pack that is 10% chlorine. According to pool math a 1/2 gal will raise your free chlorine (fc) from zero to 7. If you can’t find that regular bleach (no scents, no spalshless, no color max) regular bleach is 6% and a half gal would raise fc to 4.5. You can use pool math to calculate the amount you need.

I am waiting on my test kit but have two questions. 1. Do you think it is ok to swim in while cloudy? 2. Is there any way to start the SLAM with a cheap test from Walmart or something?

1. No, especially if you cannot see someone in trouble at the bottom. You have no idea if the water is sanitized.

2. No. Even with the minimum CYA of 30ppm, you will need to maintain a FC of 12ppm. You will not find a test in Walmart that reads over 5ppm.

Thanks for all of the advise. I am actually able to see the bottom of the pool now so it is clearing up with just adding 3/4 gal of bleach daily. Hopefully my test kit comes soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.