Getting 16fc loss over 24hrs

Jul 7, 2012
Québec, Canada
Ever since I put the filter in, I'm getting severe FC loss on sunny days (probably the small pool gets more bleaching?)
I shocked to 16fc, cya=40
The next even it was back down at 0.2fc, TC 0.57

Should I be adding chlorine twice a day for a pool this size and is it worth increasing cya more?

I think you probably mean CYA. That’s a big chlorine loss. You need to slam your pool and, to do that, you need a good test kit, TF-100 or K2006c.

SLAM Process. Please read the article.

You Maintain 16 ppm FC. Test FC (using the FAS-DPD test, powder followed by liquid reagent) every couple hours. Add liquid chlorine to get back to 16 ppm FC using PoolMath

Are your numbers right in your sig line? 400 gallons and another 3400 gallon? If correct and was me, I would just empty and start over.

By the way, as cya gets higher you have to add more chlorine to be effective. Does this mean the safe level of chlorine to swim in goes up as well? If not, why does it stay consistent at a safe level of 10 or below. Is it because total chlorine is just as irritant to skin with or without cya?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.