Gaskets, o -rings and lube

vgomez1

Silver Supporter
Oct 13, 2017
NTX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I love getting the feel of my raw chicken with my bare hands. Have to bond with what I will eat.

Pool Lube? Yuck. Gotta wear gloves for that. Chicken grease cleans off of hands so much easier then pool lube.

:laughblue:
The tech at the pool store I go to insists I don’t use lube on O rings - says debris attaches to it and not necessary. Thoughts?

The tech at the pool store I go to insists I don’t use lube on O rings - says debris attaches to it and not necessary. Thoughts?

Hogwash.

Pool lube helps the O ring seal and prevents leaks.

Stay out of Pool Stores is our advice.

Reactions: vgomez1
The purpose of o-ring lube is... wait for it... to lubricate! Without lubrication, as you tighten the seal the o-ring can bunch up and deform, which could either leave you with a leak, or cause the o-ring to fail sooner, and then leak. The lube allows the ring to maintain its shape while you tighten.

Regarding the debris, while it's true that debris could cause a seal failure, the solution is not to avoid lube. You clean all three surfaces carefully (the ring and the two surfaces that it will touch), with a lint-free cloth. And then clean your fingers, too! Apply a light coat of the lube to the ring, and then assemble.

Try to avoid a couple things:
1) assembling your o-ring seal in a sand storm, and
2) talking to pool store employees! 🤪

Reactions: vgomez1 and Newdude