Gas fire pit - How to automate?

Hi guys! Sorry for the delay in responding here. For some crazy reason I'm not getting notifications for this one post. I can absolutely see the safety risks here, and it's probably not worth the risk to do the "IF after dark and IF cover gets opened, THEN start fire" logic. That said, I'd still like to be able to light the fire from one of the relays. I did pre-run a control wire for 24V into the pit, so all I need are the components. @Katodude - I think you're on to something with your research. This simply cannot be hard if it's done on cheap little devices all the time.
If your firepit has an option to flip a switch to start it, then you can add that to your automation to control it. Simply wire the fireplace switch into a relay and let the automation control the relay. Jandy automation has a dusk to dawn timer but I really don't think I'd set up a fireplace on a regular timer.
Unfortunately, it does not. It's just a simple valve with electronic spark ignitor.

I suspect part of the cost is to cover potential lawsuits. Seriously. People lighting the thing when there are kids in it, or the family dog, or a pool float.
Agree.

The one thing I am confused about is if you paid for a firepit, why didn't it come with the on/off mechanism? Your pool looks quite expensive I can't imagine they left this out.
In my case, "they" is me. ;) The PB built the pool, and I built the pool house, equipment pad setup, all electrical and laid up the fire pit. So....I have no one to blame but myself.

I don't have enough gray matter to help you.... but I do have enough to know- Your paradise is beautiful.

Thank you!!

Reactions: Lineman7
Ha ok I see. For sure your solution is a proper on/off mechanism for the firepit. Once you have that, it should be an easy matter to add to your automation.

Reactions: wgipe
So I was thinking about your fire pit layout.. if you're thinking of adding some kind of remote switch.. I wonder if it would be a good idea to keep a fire pit screen to it. With gas you are not going to get a lot of sparks but it will keep stuff from accidentally blowing into your pit. Just as an idea:

I've seen some pretty fancy custom ones by the local artisans too.

I have 2 gas fireplaces in my house and the gas supply to both of them is always on. They both have gas cutoffs like you show, but I rarely use those. Sometimes in the summer when I know I will not be using it anymore and turn off the pilot light. Both of my fireplaces are automatic with pilot lights. One is battery with a remote and one electric with a wall switch. Both will automatically turn off the gas supply if the pilot light goes out (thermocoupler). I doubt that gas switch you show is designed to be turned on/off for lighting the fireplace. I suspect you have a pilot light somewhere or an automatic pilot light. I am fairly certain all modern gas fireplaces have a thermocoupler like I describe above to shut off gas flow when no flame is detected.
The one that is controlled with a remote can be controlled by Alexa or Google along with any RF ceiling fans or any other RF device with one of these. I use this for all the ceiling fans in my house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.