Garden Hose Reel

Arizonarob

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 25, 2018
Chandler Arizona
So, I’m in search of a good quality hose reel for my garden hose. I’m sick of those Suncast ones that break in like a year or two. I need something that can withstand the AZ sun and won’t self destruct. Anyone have a good one they found??

I purchased a Rapid Reel one 10 years ago and added the extension kit to it. Other than some chalking of the powder coat, it is still like new.

--Jeff

How about that... I had to go look up this Eley hose reel, since it appears it is quite popular. Turns out, that's what I have! I had no idea that the Eley reel and Rapid Reel were the same. I guess now that's 3 for the Eley/Rapid Reels.

Mine is the portable one on wheels so that I can move it to wherever I need it around the house. That would make it able to put in the garage or shed to keep the sun off of it, to protect the hose.

--Jeff

Reactions: HermanTX
I gave up on reels altogether. I was coiling my hoses for a bit and my Mom got me one of those expandable hoses for a birthday or something. It sat in the box for 2 years and I eventually needed it in a pinch and LOVED it. I bought better ones and had 2 attached together in the front and one in the back. I made and stained simple J hooks out of wood and attached those to the house. The expandable hoses are light as a feather and take up next to no room once all the water squeezes out.

I gave up on reels altogether. I was coiling my hoses for a bit and my Mom got me one of those expandable hoses for a birthday or something. It sat in the box for 2 years and I eventually needed it in a pinch and LOVED it. I bought better ones and had 2 attached together in the front and one in the back. I made and stained simple J hooks out of wood and attached those to the house. The expandable hoses are light as a feather and take up next to no room once all the water squeezes out.
Care to share which better ones you purchased? I've thought about those and wanted to try them, but the "as shown on TV" moniker does not generally equate to 'high quality' in my experience. Would love to keep one of those out on the pool patio for rinsing skimmer baskets etc.

--Jeff

BJs of all places had much better ones than my Mom (bless her heart) got from TV. I'll try to find them for you now that everybody is putting out all the spring stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another vote for Eely/Rapid Reel. Besides the pool, we have 7 horses in two separate pastures... all require water. We hook up the hose reel and wind out 150' of 5/8" hi-quality hot water rated hose to the upper pasture first, then wind it back up, relocate the hose reel, and spool it out once again for the lower pasture. This is repeated every day, all year. In the winter, the reel is walked down the enclosed concrete steps to our heated basement when done watering, then walked back up the next day. The rest of the year, it is out all day. To date, I have replaced one broken axle and two tires, which dry rotted after only 13 YEARS of this gentle (lol) treatment. Still on the original hose as well. I paid $150 new; that equates to just over $.03/day. Pretty cheap!

I like the garden hose stands better then the reels. What’s more important then the quality of the reels and stands though is the quality of the hose itself. The cheap hoses are always infuriating.

I might have to go the Eley route. I was thinking I could make a “dog house” to park it in when not in use. 🤔
Just to let you know, Eley just had a 10% increase on their hose reels and accessories effective April 1st. I had my order ready to place on March 31st but got diverted with some other issues. I did not shut down my computer over night. Today, I opened up a new window for Eley and the prices were different from my original window I had left open. So I called them and phone was answered by one of the Eley family members. He was quite gracious but explained they had held off on a price increase for a long time but material costs had risen drastically, so they implemented the price increase. Still a great product and I did place my order.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Can anyone confirm it’s not just on/off season prices ? Look at all the pool stuffs that go up
In price every year about now. A lot of companies do it.

Eley.

If your hose is being destroyed by the sun, you need better hoses. I have three 50ft sections of hose that I use for cattle water tanks that have been outdoors since the late 1990s that are still good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.