Garage door on front of pool house

Hmmmm, I wonder how much one of those would be with impact glass?
The mfg is Haas but it would come from an Atlanta dealer. I'm going to get another price for a 8ftw x 7ft h one just for comparison. I think two 8ft w doors would be ideal for a 24 w pool house. They come in lots of colors, glass colors, single or insulated glass,etc. The one I priced was for single pane glass. Will post when I get a price on a smaller one.

Good point Kato. I should mention the numbers I showed in the previous post were rated to 140 mph as required in the County Plat for my house. I did a little checking to see how much extra it was costing. For my (much smaller doors) it added about $300.

Good point Kato. I should mention the numbers I showed in the previous post were rated to 140 mph as required in the County Plat for my house. I did a little checking to see how much extra it was costing. For my (much smaller doors) it added about $300.
Was that $2300 for all glass? If so, that seems like a deal. I spent that much for a 16 foot solid, i8 ft height, insulated and heavy walled door and opener. I figured the glass would be a lot higher. Will see the difference with a 7 foot opening.

Was that $2300 for all glass? If so, that seems like a deal. I spent that much for a 16 foot solid, i8 ft height, insulated and heavy walled door and opener. I figured the glass would be a lot higher. Will see the difference with a 7 foot opening.
No glass, all steel and including premium opener and installation.

They also make different styles besides a typical ceiling rail mount. For your application it could be neat to use a tilt up garage door or a bifold version. The tilt up pivots so half of the door is at the top of the opening outside and the bifold folds in half to the top also outside both would create a canopy shade covering of sorts. Just some options.

Last edited:
I got the pricing for 8 ft x 7 h door, all glass, single and insulation glass, wall mount opener. I am really liking the idea of two doors that can be closed off or opened as desired. For the 12ft w x 8ft h in insulated, you can almost get (2) of the 8ft w x 7ft h single pane. But even in insulated, two of the 8 ft wide doors is an attractive option.

12x8 Single Pane - $4580
12x8 Insulated Glass - 6390
8x7 Single Pane - $3290
8x7 Insulated Glass - $4035

I just finished my DIY install and just so happens, the pool replaced a patio/2nd driveway that was in front of a garage. The owners before me built the 2nd attached garage and patio onto the back of the house and since I never used either, I decided to replace the patio/driveway with the pool. It’s not a separate pool house but similar to what I think you are looking into. Here is a pic just in case it might help with your plan. My plan next summer is to add a bar/lounge area inside the garage so through the pool season, we can just open it up when we want.

Attachments

• 844ABEE4-BFE8-4F2C-ADF9-145298334F22.jpeg
    844ABEE4-BFE8-4F2C-ADF9-145298334F22.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 28
Below is an outdated sketch showing the relative location of the pool house except I ended up enlarging it to 22 ft deep. Yes, the location will be similar to yours relative to the pool. Originally, my plans were to enclose the back for a bathroom and storage along with the wall beside the equipment pad and leave the front and left facing side open. I would have the 24 ft span to work with and the garage door idea was an afterthought. My wife and I looked at someones's pool house a while back and it was totally enclosed, had a full kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom, It was very nice and conditioned air but not open to the pool. The garage door would offer flexibility that I would not otherwise have.
Also added a pic of the current construction status. They are supposed to come back next week to start pouring the walls for the pool house.IMG_0551.jpg

pool structure layout.png

Honestly, I loved your open sided concept, but my first thought was that will be terrible to try and keep everything weatherproof. Adding the OHD is a brilliant idea that will provide you the open air feeling while using but be able to keep out the weather. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like the glass garage door idea. My thought on the two doors is that if you are sitting inside the pool house, there will be large blind spots when viewing the pool due to the center column (safety and aesthetic issue). That would be a no-go for me. I'd go with the single door (which I get provides less flexibility on use) but provides an uninterrupted view. Also beware the 7' height may make it seem slightly restrictive. Our house garage door and our pool pavilion both have 8' opening heights. Garage door is 18' x 8' and feels very big. Though a taller door also lets in more sunshine if you have sun from that direction. Get what works best and pay less attention to the cost. It's easy for me to say, but this is a key functional and aesthetic element of your area.

Reactions: Newdude
bunch of boathouses on a lake i fish have glass ones that they use to close up when not on the water. the doors are beautiful. had to be a fortune
I started looking at the slide away patio type doors and they are quite expensive. I think I like the garage door idea better and they are less expensive. I just priced up to a 12w x 8ft h and they are double to triple what my insulated (no windows) 16 x 8 door is. But, they are nice.

I started looking at the slide away patio type doors and they are quite expensive. I think I like the garage door idea better and they are less expensive. I just priced up to a 12w x 8ft h and they are double to triple what my insulated (no windows) 16 x 8 door is. But, they are nice.
I quoted sliders too in glass for my 3 openings which 2 are 12 feet plus openings I was up around 30 grand installed after all said and done. it was nuts.

• Wow
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I just looked online for the sliders and did not get any formal quotes. But they are quite expensive.
A lot of the problem is opening sizes. The 1 section that was 7 feet for me was doable. So if I made more openings that were smaller it would have been affordable but then it would kinda undo the whole point. So I guess pay to play senerio for me. Lol. And I decided to sit on the sideline.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.