Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So, do I need to FULLY dissolve this stuff before proceeding with the test. I know everyone loves the magnetic stirrer. But just pretend I don’t want to get one for a minute… is fully dissolving it necessary? If so, I’ll dump it in and come back an hour later to proceed. ;)

I probably don't see it because my SpeedStir is whipping it around, but I seem to recall that some of the powder can remain undissolved in the vial without affecting the test result. @mknauss?

Can I stop pretending now? It's been a minute. It's not just that we all love the convenience of our magnetic stirrers, and how much time and effort they shave off the testing chores. Using the stirrer produces more accurate, more reliable and more consistent test results. Consistent testing methods is one of the most important aspects of good pool care. A magnetic stirrer is one of the very best investments you can make. What's the hold up?

BTW (I think you were joking, but just in case...) you never leave any test media in pool water in the vial for long periods of time. You want to perform each test relatively quickly. Letting the chemicals "lounge around" will skew the results, even an extra minute can make a difference. An hour would certainly invalidate the results for many if not all of those tests.

Last edited:
The R-0871 powder is very sensitive moisture. Do your best to keep it dry. Dry your hands well before handling the container and the scoop. I use a few desiccant packets in my tackle box to help preserve the powder. It will clump and become useless when it gets wet.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.