Full drain, Adding Borates vs. CSI danger-zone

capn7

Silver Supporter
Mar 6, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Greetings,

Did a full drain a month ago (CH was ~1100 - Phoenix :( ) and would like to add borates back in as I had in the past. My pH tends to climb quickly, so the borates were a blessing!

One thing I'm struggling with is the CSI when I play around with the calculator... After plugging in assumed borates level, I seem to be uncomfortably towards the edge of the CSI range.

NOW: 74°
FC 3.6 (on SWG); CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 100
CH 260 (it will drift upward somewhat rapidly during the Phoenix evaporative summer)
Salt - 4k
CYA 70
Borates - somewhere just above 0 (residual from a couple hundred gallons of old water leftover)

I've read here to drop the TA to 60-80 *first* before adding borates. But when I go to the calc and plug in assumed values of TA=70 and Borates=45 (all other numbers as shown above), the CSI is -0.56, "potential to become corrosive to plaster."

Should I be concerned with this? Babysit it and just be extra cautious until my CH & water temp comes up (bringing the CSI back from the deep end - hehe)?

I appreciate any advice!

-Aaron

Agreed.

I just did a full water replacement too. My CH is lower than yours, just compensate by keeping the pH a little higher ... since we both know how quickly the CH will go up ;)

Agreed.

I just did a full water replacement too. My CH is lower than yours, just compensate by keeping the pH a little higher ... since we both know how quickly the CH will go up ;)

Jblizzle-

saw where you are in Tucson also. I just drained and refilled my pool because CH got so high. Are you saying that keeping the pH a little higher helps keep CH down here in Tucson? New user here.

No. The CH will rise constantly. The higher pH will keep the CSI in acceptable range while the CH is low. As the CH rises, you need to start lowering the pH. Check out PoolMath.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.