Fudgebar's pool build- have a lot of questions...

I'm a cartridge guy. DE is a pain in the butt, and the pool guys love them 'cuz they can charge you to backwash a couple times a year! Cartridge filters are usually 6-7 times larger in square footage, and are easy to clean, when needed. My current set is 8+ years old, gets cleaned every 6 months (if they need it or not!0 and still look like brand new!

Yeah..im thinking of that exact setup....Fiberglass, Cartridge and Salt and Heat Pump

Since I havent done any research yet on Cartridge, what should I look for in terms of quality, ease of use and performance for either a 12x24 or 14x28 size pool...any recommendations?....and is cartridge priced along the same lines as a comparable SAND and/or DE filter system?

frustratedpoolmom said:
Clarity, in order:
DE
Cart
Sand

Ease of maintenance, in order:
Sand
Cart
DE
Once again, I'm the odd man out... :roll: ...I'm going on my second season with a DE filter and haven't done diddly squat to it, and the filter was not brand new when I took over. The pressure never rises, presumably because I use skimmer socks, but I backwash it anyway a couple times per season. How much easier can it get?

The joke may well be on me, but I won't find out until I take it apart. Whenever that happens...not too inclined to do so without some kind of symptom. Persistant pressure rise, cloudy water, something. I will vow one thing though: When I do take it apart I will take pictures and post them whether good or bad. If I end up with egg on my face, so be it... :eek:

Beez said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
Clarity, in order:
DE
Cart
Sand

Ease of maintenance, in order:
Sand
Cart
DE
Once again, I'm the odd man out... :roll: ...I'm going on my second season with a DE filter and haven't done diddly squat to it, and the filter was not brand new when I took over. The pressure never rises, presumably because I use skimmer socks, but I backwash it anyway a couple times per season. How much easier can it get?

The joke may well be on me, but I won't find out until I take it apart. Whenever that happens...not too inclined to do so without some kind of symptom. Persistant pressure rise, cloudy water, something. I will vow one thing though: When I do take it apart I will take pictures and post them whether good or bad. If I end up with egg on my face, so be it... :eek:

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna just decline your invitation to come over and swim, Beez :shock: :shock: :lol:

simicrintz said:
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna just decline your invitation to come over and swim, Beez :shock: :shock: :lol:
:-D As you wish sir, but for the record my water quality is as good as any on this board despite my unconventional methods. If you were closer I would invite you over to pick it apart as best you could! :mrgreen: But since that is not an option, see this thread for a pic I took this morning in anticipation of your reaction...

Hello, my name is Dave B. ...

Beez said:
simicrintz said:
:-D As you wish sir, but for the record my water quality is as good as any on this board despite my unconventional methods. If you were closer I would invite you over to pick it apart as best you could! :mrgreen: But since that is not an option, see this thread for a pic I took this morning in anticipation of your reaction...

Hello, my name is Dave B. ...

The pool (and surrounding area) looks great :goodjob: I may have to take back my earlier comment........

Seriously, it does look awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Where can I find REVIEWS of Installers in NJ?

Well its not to late to consider these pool builders,

Ive pretty much narrowed my choices down to these pool builders:

Olympic Pools and Spas - Leaning towards these guys, they were able to negotiate to 26K after 2 years of back and forth, on and off discussions

AqcuaPools -solid reputation but will not go under 30K for complete job

Maltese Pools - Im not sure about these guys but they were the only pool builder to inform me that my town would only allow a 3ft walkway around the pool (nothing larger)

I was also considering Fiberglass but I think the price for the complete job the way I wanted it with Vinyl, 3ft walkway, filtration, heat pump, mesh cover, kits, tiles and cantilevering was pushing me over $34k completed

I may look at your suggestions LinerMfg....and thank you. Also if you, or anyone else, can give me any insight on the above pool builders, I also greatly appreciate that as well

thanks,

Lori

Good luck with this project! I'm in South Jersey near Philly and am having trouble getting recommendations for a good company to do some repair work / liner replacement.

Thanks and good luck to you too...I dont think there are many people from the NJ area on this forum. I have found only 1 person who was just able to offer some recommendations. Other than that, its been a Crud shoot

I guess so...but its wierd, because when I explained what I want to do to the zoning officer, his measurement didnt really line up right. When he told me I have to be 10ft from the setback line to the waterline, I asked him how much patio can I build around the pool if my water line starts right at 10ft?

.....He said you can build 2ft around the pool but we'll let you put 3ft.

I naturally then asked, well what are the restrictions for building walkway/dek around an inground pool?

He then replied, well its 6 from the property line to the edge of a patio/walkway/structure....

I then said, well doesnt that actually leave me 4 feet of walkway to build.....???

He then said, well no, you have to be more then 6ft....

Hmmmm......well couldn't that be like 3ft 11 & 3/4 inches???......but I just hung up and said , OK thanks!

My guess is they make some of this $%^ up as they go along....it really sounded like that as I was asking him to clarify.

Isnt there someplace I could look this stuff up online for my town??........I went to the town homepage and they have like nothing...other than phone numbers and office hours for each of the municipalities in my town. Their website is just not well kept.

Just to give you folks a visual idea of my yard size and how a 14x28 rectangle pool will pose a challenge. I drew this up ...Now Im not set in stone with the rectangle (uhm...no pun intended)

Front View
loriyard2.jpg

Rear View

Loriyard.jpg

I would consider a lagoon shape or something more natural but I know that costs more money and I'll actually sacrifice pool surface area...so I'm not sure how to approach this.

Any ideas are also certainly welcome...thanks

Lori

How come there isnt enough discussion of using dirt to backfill pools?.....From what a few people say this is almost a sure fire way to introduce cracks in your concrete patio down the road as the dirt eventually settles and shifts...even after a few years.

So what is the best way to backfill your in ground pool after pouring the concrete collar on the virgin soil at the base of the A frame??

Is it Sand?.... Is it Gravel?...Is it QP Stone?.....other?

Help!

thanks

Lori

I had a similar issue. The setbacks would place the pool in the middle of the yard. I got a Variance for the pool and a detached garage. Obtaining a variance can be very expensive and time consuming. Example: Lawyer, ariel photos, registered letters, zoning meetings, 6+ months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.