Fudgebar's pool build- have a lot of questions...

Re: Is BIGGER always BETTER?....Are there PROs and CONs?

heat pump for us. we have one and love it... but not that great in the spring and fall... it will shut down at 42 and not come back on until it gets 50 outside again... not a quick heat.. but still pretty cheap to run
good luck.

Classic RECTANGLE or Crazy FREEFORM...What would you get??

Folks...Im almost torn down the middle as to what I want to get...I have a small side yard that measures 35x 44 that is fenced in with 6ft PVC privacy fence so I am limited to only a certain size with the 10ft from neighbor to waterline restrictions.

I have narrowed my choices down to either 12x24 or 14x28 (or variations between these give or take a foot here and there)

My 2 questions to you all are, what size would you go for....I want some patio area too so I'm completely sold on just going bigger

And more importantly, Im torn between your classic clean lined rectangle pool vs a little something more curvy and natural looking.

So given my limited dimmensions, what would you guys choose if it were you making the decision??

And if possible, could you simply post a pic or 2 of your own pools if you can so I can get even more ideas....thanks!!

Lori

Re: Classic RECTANGLE or Crazy FREEFORM...What would you get??

I would 'think' that it would depend a lot on what type of pool you are planning on. For a vinyl liner I would think a rectangle would be much simplier and cheaper than a freeform, but if you are talking gunnite/plaster, then freeform may not be any more expensive. What are your plans as far as depth, slide, diving board, etc...all that should play into the decision as well.

Re: Classic RECTANGLE or Crazy FREEFORM...What would you get??

beaumatt said:
I would 'think' that it would depend a lot on what type of pool you are planning on. For a vinyl liner I would think a rectangle would be much simplier and cheaper than a freeform, but if you are talking gunnite/plaster, then freeform may not be any more expensive. What are your plans as far as depth, slide, diving board, etc...all that should play into the decision as well.
Beaumatt, do a search on Fudgebar and you will see numerous threads started that all basically detail the same thing in terms of what she wants, budget, and questions.

Moderator, it would be easier to follow fudgebar's questions and make for more continuity if these numerous threads were merged.

Re: I just recieved a FIBERGLASS POOL Quote...Can you Help?

Fiberglass shells from the better brands do just fine in the cold. The big concerns are the installer's, improperly emptied shells, and the use of flex pipe.

AFAIK, all shells need a 2 to 3' concrete collar attached via rebar. This helps to both hold it down should the pool empty to below the water table outside of the shell and, more importantly, to aid in resisting settling unevenly. This collar should be at least 3" thick or more. Depending on the shape of the top lip and how it's incorporated to the concrete collar, pavers may be used and not look too high out of the pool.

Some of what I mentioned is a little off topic but the reason I mentioned it is the cost of the concrete and mason. The shell, while a serious budget item, isn't the only serious budget item.

A small shell can be in the ground and filled in a day very easily. If the electrician comes the next day, power and a working pool is born. All that is needed is access for the experienced digger/setting team. The mason can come in almost immediately and be done in a couple days. A couple days later, you can walk on it and clean the pool (it will be a mess) and balance it.

Enjoy'

Scott

Re: I just recieved a FIBERGLASS POOL Quote...Can you Help?

Thanks PoolGuys....

Let me ask you a quick question, If I want to keep my electric bills as low as possible, can you give me some strategies as for which Pump I should ask to be installed with my new pool? Or are they all relatively the same?

The size of the pool I am looking to build is between 12x24 or 14x28. Is there a recommended strategy with selecting a pump size in relation to balance performance and monthly electric cost savings?....or do you simply have to match your pump speed to the size of your pool....and plumbing?

I recall BK giving me some strategy earlier by mentioning that I should request 2" Rigid PVC plumping...not Flex pipe

Re: OPTIONS to improve look of that UGLY white Vinyl Coping??

bk406 said:
That has more to do with the installer, probably. Mine are not like that at all.

No doubt! But still, didn't want to take the risk. The plastic step insert we put in is a light grey with pebbling, not a natural look but a lot nicer than the stark white steps. Even a little color in the coping/railings/steps really helps keep it from standing out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Pool mom....

I have another question about chosing a pump can you give me some strategies as for which Pump I should ask to be installed with my new pool? Or are they all relatively the same?

The size of the pool I am looking to build is between 12x24 or 14x28. Is there a recommended strategy with selecting a pump size in relation to balance performance and monthly electric cost savings?....or do you simply have to match your pump speed to the size of your pool....and plumbing?

I recall BK giving me some strategy earlier by mentioning that I should request 2" Rigid PVC plumping...not Flex pipe

Hi folks...I recieved another quote for you to help me pick apart! :)

It's a fiberglass Pool install by Artisitic Pools in NJ. The fiberglass pools they use are San Juan and Crystal Palace
This quote was for 2 different sized Crystal Palace Pools with dimmensions I really liked. Can you help me pick apart this quite to ask the installer some questions in areas that look a little vague or where more info might be needed?...Also is there anything that stands out to you all the way the WaterWorld quote did like (flexible 100' Plumbing pipe , and half deposit up front before install)...things like that

Thanks.....look below:

Large Unicorn PACKAGE PRICE: 27,845

largeunicorn.jpg

Medium Diamond PACKAGE PRICE: 24,585

mediumdiamond2.jpg

All Pool Packages include:

PERMIT WORK
EXCAVATION
DIRT REMOVAL
SETTING POOL
ALL BACKFILL MATERIAL
PLUMBING OF POOL
PENTAIR PUMP
FILTER SYSTEM
ALL ELECTRICAL WORK UP TO 50 FT
AUTO TIMER
3’ BRUSHED CONCRETE
OR 1,000 CREDIT ON STAMPING
3 STEP LADDER
HAND RAIL
AUTO CHLORINATOR
START UP CHEMICALS
MAINTENANCE PACKAGE
CLEANING EQUIPMENT
POOL START UP/ WALK THROUGH
25 YR WARRANTY

Additional Options:
CANTILEVER COPING Included
ELECTRIC: INCLUDED UP TO 50’
UPGRADED SVRS PUMP ENERGY EFFICIENT/ ANTI ENTRAPMENT VARIABLE SPEED
TILE 1,150
HEATER (GAS)
HEATER (ELECTRIC) 3,750
LED 5 COLOR LIGHTING w/REMOTE 10 PROGRAMS 975
SLIDES
DIVING BOARDS
AUTO POOL CLEANER
RETAINING WALLS
FENCING
LANDSCAPING
STRUCTURES
SALT WATER GENERATORS 1,300
WATER FEATURES
WATER FOR POOL
WINTER COVER 1,450
STAMPED CONCRETE 10.00 sq/ft

Any help or feedback on the quote you could provide would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

Lori

Re: Im a little CONCERNED about this quote for a 14x28 Vinyl...

bk406 said:
Sand is fine. There are cartridge people and DE people too, and they will tell you what they have is best. But, for ease of use and no hassle, sand is fine.

Unless you want to store the filter indoors during the winter. Then emptying the gravel/sand is a pain. With DE you clean drain and you can carry it inside.

I just saw this thread and wanted to comment on the fiberglass vs. vinyl, as I have had both. I had a vinyl pool built in my last home. It was 32x16 and went to 8ft. deep. It was perfect for when the kids were growing up. It had the the ugly white coping pipe which I just learned to deal with. In time, there were folds and creases in areas at the bottom and the sun faded the portion of the liner that was above water, especially in the corners. The liner had pulled away from the corners by the 7th year. I also noticed that I could start to feel "gritty" spots under the liner with my feet. I never went through a summer without fighting algea a couple of times. It would become a battle and it would get costly and aggravating. Now that I know the BBB method, I wish I could go back in time to see if this would have made a difference. When we moved, the pool was 8 years old, and the next season would have been vinyl replacement time. The good thing is that when replacing the liner, you can change the whole look of the pool if you want.

I knew when I was ready for another pool, I did not want to put in another vinyl pool. After alot of research, and to my own surprise, I chose fiberglass. I, as well, never liked the "bathtub" look of fiberglass, even though I realized that everybody I knew that had a fiberglass pool, had it forever without issues, they just weren't very pretty. I was pleased to find out that I could choose a gelcoat finish in order to give the pool a richer look and so that I could get the water a certain color (just like concrete pools use pebbletec). Also, coping of some type was a must. I chose a textured concrete coping in a brown color in order to keep with my desire for a natural setting. My gelcoat is a grey color which gives me a warm grey/blue water which I love. I have a salt water system. I am happy to say that after putting salt in the pool at the beginning of the season, and putting stabalizer in. I have not had to add one single other item to this pool so far this season. The water is perfect. I purchased the TFP test kit and test it regularly. Since I spent so much time throwing chemicals into my last pool, I am in shock as to how easy this pool is. I do not know if it is the fact that fiberglass is not porous and doesn't have any places for algae to catch on, or if the salt system is so consistent with putting out chlorine, or maybe its a combination of both, but this pool is absolutely the easiest thing you can ever imagine. The 28x14 size is perfect for what I wanted. The seat sections in the pool are great to have. Now that the kids are grown, it made more sense to have a smaller pool, and, as it turns out, now more of the pool is "useable" vs. that heavy slant in the middle of the larger pool that split people to either the shallow or the deep end.

One funny comment, the electrical code inspector walked all around my pool while inspecting and thought he was looking at a gunite pool until the electrician told him differently. Now, I can tell the difference pretty darned easy, and maybe he has never seen a fiberglass pool with coping on it in this area but I found that to be cute.

I am in Tennessee, and fiberglass is not the "preferred" pool in this area, so I think some people thought I was crazy.... but I absolutely love my choice.

The only thing I still plan to do is put waterline tile in the pool. I originally opted not to have this done because the quote was so high, and I'm quite a DIYer when it comes to tile, and it will save me 2/3 of what I was quoted to have it done, but the best option is to have the waterline tile placed before they pour/place the coping.

I wish you well with your pool build.

Re: Im a little CONCERNED about this quote for a 14x28 Vinyl...

mtbarr64 said:
Unless you want to store the filter indoors during the winter. Then emptying the gravel/sand is a pain. .
Thats a waste of time and effort. Unscrew the drain plug from the bottom, drain the water, lube the multiport up, cover it with a tarp (if you want) and have a hot toddy until april :wink:

fudgebar said:
....are they a little easier to maintain and use during the season....

Who told you that? Thats not true at all. They are more difficult to mess with. Sand is the easiest thing going. you have to add DE everytime you backwash. Has to be done correctly to or it wont function properly. DE filters are good filters, but easier than sand? no way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.