Fudgebar's pool build- have a lot of questions...

Re: I just recieved a FIBERGLASS POOL Quote...Can you Help?

Fudgebar - see my replies in your previous post.

The returns are what shoot the water back into your pool. The skimmer draws the water out of the pool through the pump, filter and then back into the pool through the returns. The skimmers filter out large dirt (i.e leaves, bugs, etc.) via a basket.

The safety cover in abox means they are giving you the cover but not installing it. Ask if they install the anchors. These are basically bolts that are set or drilled into the concrete deck to hold the cover.

Folks is this the flexible plumbing hose?....Is this so bad? Wouldnt this be safe enough or do you recommend I ask for the ...what?

phase2_k.jpg

There's an old ad that used to run on TV-went something like this: "you can pay me now or you can pay me later".

That's the junk :evil: tell 'em you want it plumbed in rigid PVC, or see above down the road :shock:

I am not a big fan of Water World. I've seen a number of issues with their installation. Cheap? Yes. Is it because they like you? No. Cheap is cheap for a reason. Thin shells, poor back filling, poor warranty support and a host of other issues.

That's not to say that there aren't happy campers with these pools, there are. I have seen too many screw ups with Water World to place them high on my list.

There have been a lot of poor reviews in the past. There have been fires at their manufacturing facities, changed hands, sold shells and left the buyer to handle the installation, denied warranty claims because they don't install, or at least they didn't when I worked for a F/G pool dealer.

There are better shells out there. The difference in price is well worth it. The availability of thicker shells, installation teams that actually know how to set and back fill a shell, the use of sumps (always put one in!), support, warranty coverage, all add to the initial cost but is a lot less than the cost to reset the shell.

Shell brands in our area I like usually are San Juan, Viking and Liberty. The shells are better and the installers normally use better methods and practices. Nearly all use flex pipe, alas, so asking for hard pipe is usually needed to get it. It's a bit harder to plumb the pool with but worth the up charge.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ, thanks for the feddback of Waterworld....I think they have more satisfied customers nowadays since they starting doing their own work rather than subbing it out. At least that is what I read.

Can you recommend a reputable and affordable Fiberglass Pool installing company that does good work..........Also any vinyl pool installers too? Im still torn between Vinyl and Fiberglass.

Thanks!

Re: Im a little CONCERNED about this quote for a 14x28 Vinyl...

When we decided to build last year here outside Baltimore, MD, we originally wanted fiberglass. It seemed somehow simpler and neater. We did a ton of research and got a variety of quotes for both gunite and fiberglass, and gave a brief look to vinyl, too. There were a couple of reasons we decided to avoid fiberglass:

1. The life and soundness of the fiberglass pool is entirely dependent on the quality of the installation. Duh! But it kinda bears emphasis. It is not installed like gunite or vinyl, and requires some specialty thinking and engineering. In our area, of all the builders we talked to, they collectively installed maybe a dozen fiberglass pools a year versus literally hundreds of gunite and vinyl pools each. To my ears this means that the local experience with fiberglass is extremely limited...and it makes me wonder if anyone has had enough practice to get good at it.
2. Fiberglass (by my research) seems to fair best in climates with minimal freeze-thaw cycling. The pressure on that shell is enormous (which is part of the reason they put all that steel in gunite). Freezing and thawing just increases the number of opportunities for something to go wrong.
3. Repairing a fiberglass shell one it ruptures is difficult to impossible, at least on a permanent basis.
4. Most fiberglass manufacturers have their gel coatings worked out to where colors are guaranteed for a decade or two. But not all. Manufacturing quality varies GREATLY from vendor to vendor, so be careful.
5. The decking approach is a little different than with gunite. Fiberglass pools (most of them, anyway) require a collar of concrete around the lip to literally help hold it down. So the ability to do a traditional coping look can be limited, depending on exactly what your situation is. Cantilevered deck can look great and server the collar purpose, but some people hate it.

It was #1 that primarily persuaded us to go with gunite. For the record, I don't mean to imply that gunite is superior to fiberglass (or vinyl, which we also considered). They each have their appropriate use and both have been used successfully for decades (well, 100 years for gunite). As with so many things in the pool universe, a lot depends on the quality of the equipment and the care of the installer. My advice is that unless you can find someone who has put in 10 - 20 of the fiberglass pools per year for 10 - 15 years (which would show both experience and how well his/her products survive in your area), I'd go with vinyl or ol' gunite.

Folks....I just checked my circuit breaker in my basement....its pretty new (they added it when we put an addition on our house and built a 2nd level on an old cape home) If I am understanding this correctly, I have switches/breakers? in every slot except for the bottom left column. There seems to be 2 panels or slots available that dont have breakers/switches added. Does this mean that all of the other slots that have switches in them are actually controlling something electrical in my house? The reason I ask is because...many of the switches arent labeled. Could they be wired to nothing? (sorry if that is a stupid question!)

Also I just talked to the Water World sales team, they have no problem using Rigid PVC for the installation as opposed to the original flexible hosing PVC. Is there anything else I should ask for that would you would recommend to me?

Based on the quote....is it worthwhile, too expensive, do you think its too risky, or is this a good value. There rating with BBB.org is A+ Is that reassuring?

Thanks all and sorry for all the questions!....but I absorb your answers and am learning :)

You may or may not need a subpanel. An electrician could use half height breakers and open up more slots, but a subpanel install is more likely here.

On the fiberglass. i believe you have been given good advice by several people here that have warned you off fiberglass. Forget i dont like the looks. They just dont do well in cold climates. You have also been given advice from a pool pro in NJ that Water World may not be so reputable. I'm trying to be kind here, but i'm wondering if you are hearing the advice being given. :wink:

bk406...ok ok...no need to be so hostile :)

Ok so if I return back to my vinyl options for a pool, do you think I can realistically expect to be able to get a package similar to what I have listed for a 12x24 or 14x28 for close to 25K in NJ? Or am I out of my mind?.........I guess I'd like to know what kind of markups is on all this equipment so I can have a basis to realistically try to negotiate a price that works for both of us

Oh no, no hostilities. Just hoping your hearing the advice given, thats all.

Ok, now we are getting someplace. Is your budget $25,000? Thats the first time you have indicated a budget. If that's the number, we can give you better advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: OPTIONS to improve look of that UGLY white Vinyl Coping??

My inground pool came from a manufacturer that has colored copings and matching rails, plus different options for steps. My coping and rails are beige, the stairs are slightly grey with a pebble look. Don't know the manufacturer, could look it up. Much nicer than all white, the coping doesn't draw in the eye (would have liked matching skimmer plates but couldn't find those). Was a little more expensive, but not much.

I went with plastic steps because my neighbor has steps that are covered by the liner and the corners pull out and the fit isn't very good. I'm sure that is not the case for all of them, but I preferred not to risk it.

I would recommend fiberglass! I just would be careful who you use. Mine was in the ground without cement (decking) all winter (worst ever winter in South Jersey!!). I didn't "pop out" of the ground or freeze.

Re: OPTIONS to improve look of that UGLY white Vinyl Coping??

tphaggerty said:
my neighbor has steps that are covered by the liner and the corners pull out and the fit isn't very good. I'm sure that is not the case for all of them, but I preferred not to risk it.

That has more to do with the installer, probably. Mine are not like that at all.

Geez Thanks Lynns for making me confused again!! :)

Yes my budget is about 25K for everything....I'll Pave a nice patio and landscaping around the pool the following year. But with that 25K budget, I'd like to at least get a nice setup AND some sort of professional looking cantilevered coping to border around the pool and cover that ugly looking PVC coping that Liner pools are notorious for. I'd also like to get steel underwater steps that go across the shallow end of the pool and line over it so it looks more uniform than those ugly white plasticy looking orthopedic steps most pool installers use on vinyl

Is this a realistic goal?.....I like a 300lb Sand filter as opposed to the cartridge and DE systems...will that save me some money?

And is going with a Heat Pump vs a Gas Pump going in my quote cheaper or more expensive to package into the deal?

thanks

If I install a vinyl Pool in the FALL in NJ and wait until the Spring time to put in the concrete patio, can I just backfill the area with the dirt removed from the hole since the ground has already settled OR do I still need to use another material?

thanks all

what would you recommend for a vinyl pool ...and would it still be preferred to wait until after the winter to install the cement decking/patio around the pool if I install it in the Fall?

If I dont want a big giant hole in my yard throughout the fall and winter, can I still obtain good results if I install the pool immediately after the winter and then wait for the ground to settle before the decking /patio is installed?........if so, what would be a suffient amount of settle time?

thanks again BK, you've been so helpful!!

BBB ratings are worthless. Businesses pay to be members, so guess who they're biased towards when there is a complaint.

If your breakers are wired to nothing they must be switched to the off position. I doubt that you have a new panel with extra unused breakers in it.

Is BIGGER always BETTER?....Are there PROs and CONs?

Folks, I apologize if this is a stupid question but I am learning this stuff as I go along...

I've been getting a few quotes for a 14x28 vinyl IG Pool and some of the specs of equipment are all over the place....Just between 3 quotes, I was given a 3/4 HP Pump, a 1 HP pump and a 1 1/2HP Pump for the same size pool. So my question is, what is the actual correct size for this size pool and are there advantages/disadvantages for just going bigger if you dont need it?

Are other variables needed to determine pump size besides just knowing the pool size?

And I read alot about 1 1/5 and 2" Pipe size.....what does this mean and what should I strive for? If some of you can breifly explain in laymens terms if its too complicated, I'd appreciate it....thanks

Finally, If I want the most hands free, maintenance free, easy to learn filter, and most cost effective should I stick with SAND?......And is a 300lb Sand filter fine?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Thanks,

Lori

Re: Is BIGGER always BETTER?....Are there PROs and CONs?

Lori...welcome.

The bigger the filter, the less you will have to backwash and will allow more water to flow through it. Sand is fairly easy to maintain and 300lb would be the minimum for that size pool. Personally...IMO the size of the pump, depends on your plumbing layout. If your equipment pad will be near the pool and you use 2" pipe, 3/4 hp should be fine. 1.5hp sounds like too much pump unless it is a two-speed or you have a longer distance from the equipment pad to your pool.

2" plumbing restricts water flow less than 1.5" plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.