Fudgebar's pool build- have a lot of questions...

Re: OPTIONS to improve look of that UGLY white Vinyl Coping??

fudgebar, doing the coping and steps like on bk406's pool does make it quite a bit more expensive. You were asking about costs in your other thread, so I just thought I'd mention it.

Re: Im a little CONCERNED about this quote for a 14x28 Vinyl...

The absolute best thing you can do is GET MORE QUOTES! I got quotes from 7 builders and they were all over the place. This price seems high to me and relatively speaking, I am local to you in eastern PA. But remember, price is not everything. Make sure you are comfortable with the builder you choose. Get references and check them.

The 3 feet of concrete around the pool is standard for our area. As many have indicated, this will likely not be enough for you. Go spray paint it in your yard and you'll get a feel for the pool size and concrete area. My opinion, now is the time to add the concrete. Tough to match later. Consider focusing the extra concrete in a particular area (seating area) rather than wasting the money to add an extra foot all the way around the pool. The 3 feet is fine for a walking area around the pool. If budget is an issue, you could leave the heater off and throw the $ at the extra concrete. Heaters can be added later. BTW, you should get a SF cost for additional concrete from all builders on future estimates. Just my opinions.

As far as backfill settling and this affecting the concrete, my opinion is if its built right this won't be an issue. If the PB installs the vinyl steel walls with the deck support braces and he installs concrete filled piers which attach to the deck, in essence the deck "floats". You shouldn't have to worry about settlement. My PB actually took me around to show me pools he built and to speak with past and current customers. One location he showed me a pool he installed about 20 years earlier and you could see under the deck where a portion of the ground settled. No cracking or structural issues with the deck that I saw. Hence the floating deck. Talk to your builders about this.

As far as the filter, sand is the cheapest version, but nothing wrong with that. They are tried and true. Just needs to be considered when you're evaluating your price. Choice is personal preference on this item. I have a DE and love it.

Make sure electrical is included in this. Consider an additional outlet(s) near your seating area. Find out how much more for this. Typically only one outlet at the panel is included.

Ask what is included with "permit prep fees". In NJ I would be shocked if you don't need a lot grading plan signed and sealed by a professional engineer. Is he covering this cost or is he considering this "Township fees incurred by owner"? My guess, the later. Be prepared this will be a costly item. $2,000 +/- plus permit/inspection fees.

As far as the fiberglass, I would stay away from it. My opinion, too much potential for issues with the freeze/thaw in the northeast. I've heard stories of them "popping out". Not worth the worries for me when a vinyl liner pool has stood the test of time.

I built last fall (September/October) and am happy I did. This allowed me to do landscaping/yard clean up (which there will be alot of) in the fall and spring. By the time we were in full swim season I can enjoy the pool and be ready for pool parties.

In summary, get more estimates (especially since you are not in a rush to build) and talk to references. The price seems high to me by several thousand for that size pool and equipment. That could be the "Jersey factor" though. More estimates will let you know. Remember, you will get alot of opinions and they are just that! Do your best to sort through them considering all information and decide what works best for you. With the right contractor this can be an enjoyable experiance!

Re: OPTIONS to improve look of that UGLY white Vinyl Coping??

Actually the steps weren't any different in cost, at least for my quote.

The coping is what cost more. If you do cantaliver concrete, the cost is really the cost of the form and what the guy wants to charge you per linial foot. The concrete form is about 2-300 bucks. The per foot charge can range from not much to over $1000 total for a pool your size. So, figureo n about $1500 for a cantaliver concrete coping. But as always, prices vary all over the place. If you go with stone like i did, well, yea, that price is..well..you dont want to know what i paid. Thats hand cut stone. Like i said, you dont want to know :wink:

Fiberglass wasn't an option for us for two reasons: First, we were limited on size when we looked at fiberglass. The maximum width they sold was just 16', but we wanted 18'. I don't believe this is an issue for you. Second, our friends have a fiberglass pool,, and the problems they've experienced with chemicals staining their pool, and the necessity to constantly treat it (due to metal problems) has been unreal. It seems as though their pool is down and not available for use more often than they can really enjoy it. This is our third vinyl pool, and we have NEVER had problems such as these.

One thing to keep in mind when considering a fiberglass pool is they need to be installed in a completely different way than a vinyl pool (or even concrete pool). Vinyl pools can be installed by a group of guys with nothing but hand tools (although in reality mechainized excavation is much more common today). So at least in theory site access is only a minor concern. In contrast fiberglass pools are brought in on flat bed 18 wheeler trucks and are sat in place as a single unit using a large telescoping crane truck. These can pose access problems in many neighborhoods, particularly older ones that may have large trees lining the streets, etc.

Ike

I just recieved a FIBERGLASS POOL Quote...Can you Help?

Folks I appreciate all you've done so far...here is my 2nd quote from Water World Pools in NJ. They are actually a turn key installer and Factory creator of their own Fiberglass Pools which is a sister company of TillMan Fiberglass Pools (sp?)

1- 13'x26' (3'5"-5'10") FIBERGLASS POOL - WHITE TURN KEY
W/1-skimmer, 2-returns, 2-bottom drains
The APSP VGB Act. A Vacuum Release System must be installed on all pools in New Jersey
1-Filter w/filter sand & 1-1½ HP Pump
1-Underwater 30' Light
1-3-Step Ladder Complete
1-Handrail Complete Sub Total $ 29,000.00 per Don
1-Plumbing Kit Complete NJ 7% Taxes 2,030.00
1-Cleaning Kit Equipment Total Due $ 31,030.00

1-Autopilot Salt Generator System 36 c. A Home improvement tax exempt ST-8 Form will relieve NJ taxes, we can provide form
1- HeatWave AQ110 Heat Pump
1-Safety Cover (boxed)

Thirty One Thousand Thirty Dollars
DEPOSIT: $ 15,515.00 Required for a Scheduling Date
BALANCE: $ 15,515.00 Balance Due Upon Delivery of Pool

Home owner is responsible for: The cost of the permits, water for the pool. If rock is hit while digging the hole, there will be extra charges accordingly for the removal of the rock. If an additional sub panel is needed there will be additional charges through the electrical contractor.
If there are stumps in your yard we will pull the stumps for you, you are responsible to have them removed.

Water World Is Responsible for: Excavation of pool hole, Pool Installation, 3/8 crushed stone, haul dirt away,
we will subcontract out electrical & pay up to 50’ anything over 50’ there will be additional charges, Supply necessary paper work for your permits, 1 Load of water, 3' Concrete Deck

The pool plumbing flex hose & conduit will cover 25' of conduit for light, and 100' of flex hose for the plumbing

WATER WORLD WILL DELIVER, SET, LEVEL, AND PLUMB POOL TO FILTER

***Make Cashier’s Check Payable to Water World***

Re: I just recieved a FIBERGLASS POOL Quote...Can you Help?

The only thing that I see that worries me right off is the 100 feet of flex hose, I don't like the idea of flex hose, particulalry if it is underground. Hard PVC pipe holds up much better than flex in my experience, keep in mind I live in a different climate though. Also note that an electrical sub panel will likely be needed and given what I know of electrician rates in your part of the country it could well run into thousands of dollars, unless you have a relative that is in an electrician, etc. (parts cost of maybe $500 so sub panel, wiring, GFCI breakers, conduit, etc.)

Ike

I'll second the flex pipe ( :evil: ) and the pump is too big for that pool. You could easily use a 3/4 HP pump, and I would have them provide a minimum of a 2 speed (if not variable speed) pump anyway.

Is that it?....good, bad?....Price High or better than my vinyl quote for what Im getting?

What should I expect to pay for a sub panel if needed?....and how would I know if it is needed? Can this be negotiated into price?

Would all my vinyl line pool quotes also require this sub panel?

thanks

Lori

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Maybe fiberglass PB are different, but I sure wouldn't want to give someone 50% with zip/nada in hand. I would think (naively) 10% up front, 40% post excavation & on pool delivery, balance on-site completion with pool fully functional, etc.

Sub panel, if required for any, would be required for all. Do you need one - is the equipment location close to the house electrical service, are there spare slots in the existing panel, and maybe more important, will you town/county inspector require a subpanel.

I would recommend you go talk to your local building official - your tax dollars pay their salary, they should not be expected to give bulder recommendations, but they can tell you if a subpanel would be needed, and how they feel about other construction details.

You really need either the pool builder or an electrician knowlegdable about pools to tell you if you need a sub panel. This will depend on local code requirements, your house layout, electrical service, etc.

Ike

Lori,

Go to your breaker box/ panel and open it. Do you have any room left in the box? Meaning, is there a switch/ breaker in every space? If you have blank areas (Knock-Outs) in the panel, you should be fine. However, you could need several new breakers. Pump, lights, heater, service etc... Each one will require its own place in the box. If you don't have enough room for each new circuit, you will need a sub-panel. A sub-panel is an extention of your main breaker box.

You can take a picture of your panel with the door open and we can tell you for sure.

folks thanks for the feedback....in regards to the price for the fiberglass pool and ect, ...good, ....bad?

Also, if you could elaborate on why the flexible hosing is such a no no.....and why would a reputable pool installer use it if its such a risk

thanks again all

They also mentioned the price of extra masonry concrete for the backyard and patio would be $4 sq foot.....that seems resonable...no?

I paid right around the same price for a 14x30 fiberglass pool. That did include the SWG and safety cover (not sure by your post if that was included). Some differences: Our package came with a variable speed pump, cartridge filter, 3 returns (1 for polaris), 3ft. deck (you'll probably want a little more so figure that in your price), and all electrical work (they did have the 50' stipulation but we didn't need it). Also, remember your town may require a fence around the pool. Take that into consideration with the price.

Good Luck!!

why would they use such a big pump...does it hurt to have such a big pump or am I just paying more for something that wont make a difference?

Also, why is the flexible hosing bad?

Does it matter which name brands I get for the Sand Filter, Pump and SWG? Do I need to find that out?

And what does the Safety cover (boxed) mean?

Flex hose is a cheap, fast way to plumb a swimming pool. It has a much better chance of being punctured by something sharp (a rock, for instance), penetrated by a shovel, or otherwise damaged. Termites also tend to enjoy it.

Rigid PVC, on the other hand, utilizes rigid pipe, and 45 and 90 degree couplers glued together to form a tight bond. It takes a little bit longer to properly plumb a pool with rigid PVC, but it is a far superior product.

Ask the builder why he uses flex pipe. The only honest answer is that it is easier and faster. Now, ask yourself if that is what you want as part of the 31K you are thinking of spending. That's not the way I would want my pool built (what other areas is he cutting corners on?), and I doubt they build their personal pools that way.

By the way, I hate flex pipe!

The company that did our pool I would NEVER recommend! I won't mention names but they are a local company that I don't think covers your area anyway. If you brought up the name I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to run away. It had nothing to do with they quality of the pool or equipment. It was them not calling, missing appointments, and not admitting that they made a mistake (plumbing the filter backwards) that caused a couple months of stress!
As far as the pool now that they've straightened everything out: We love it!! Very little maintenance, no worrying about a liner, haven't had to add any chemicals since it was open (water tests are perfect).

Thanks....Is this stuff enough:

1-skimmer, 2-returns, 2-bottom drains

Can someone explain what these are and why i need more or are they fine?

Also is there a pipe or drain size I should be recommending for efficiency or speed or anything else?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.