Frustrated new pool owner...please help!

Yes. Once you take your FC to shock (greater than 10 ppm FC) your pH test will be invalid. So you want to add your MA and test to be sure your pH is were you want it prior to starting.

Take care.

Yes. Once you take your FC to shock (greater than 10 ppm FC) your pH test will be invalid. So you want to add your MA and test to be sure your pH is were you want it prior to starting.

Take care.
Great...I'll run and grab some in the AM, get my pH right and go to town to get to shock level. Once I'm at shock level, do I immediately start with vacuuming to waste and brushing walls/floor?

Sure you can vacuum some tonight. It will help get the clumpy stuff out. But chlorine is what you need. Algae will grow very quickly in the right environment.

You can brush it around if you want. It will be consumed very rapidly if you have live algae in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With pump on, 30 minutes. If you want push a brush around for a couple minutes, It will help mix it.

Looking much better already. Hopefully the algae doesn't sneak back in!! Still need to test today after adding the rest of what the PoolMath said I needed for FC shock level last night and scrubbing walls, but working at home with our little one, so may be after my work day.
7a26883a79ee23f7b576c5c29bafdc70.jpg

It does look nice! You will probably have a very short slam. If those are the steps sitting on the deck it looks like the safety fin on the back is pretty solid. You could always get a hole saw for your drill and add some holes for better circulation. Also when you add your bleach put a little on either side of the steps to make sure it gets back there. Brushing that area after adding chlorine will help too.

Also be sure to check your FC frequently, your job during the SLAM is to MAINTAIN that FC shock level as consistently as you can. I had a full blown swamp and found that testing every 4 hours worked well for me (during my waking hours). I would expect that to clear up pretty quickly. Is your liner blue? Do you fill with well water?

Reason I ask is, my liner was stained by iron in the water. I added a product called Metal Out and you can see the difference it made. Might look into that after your SLAM.

6_23_2017 pool.jpg
7_4_2017 pool.jpg

Also be sure to check your FC frequently, your job during the SLAM is to MAINTAIN that FC shock level as consistently as you can. I had a full blown swamp and found that testing every 4 hours worked well for me (during my waking hours). I would expect that to clear up pretty quickly. Is your liner blue? Do you fill with well water?

Reason I ask is, my liner was stained by iron in the water. I added a product called Metal Out and you can see the difference it made. Might look into that after your SLAM.

View attachment 66982
View attachment 66983
Thanks for the feedback! From what I can tell, the liner is just stained. I wish it were just the water. It is city water, though. I wanted to get started on the SLAM this weekend so I could devote more attention to maintaining, but that didn't happen. We'll see how it goes :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.