Frustrated dealing with a fine "dust"

Good morning all. I did the overnight chlorine test just to rule out algae being the culprit. I am happy to report that I had no detectable chlorine loss as I expected.

I started with 15 and ended with 15.

So back to the original question on getting rid of the fine particles. The pool is looking clearer but I suspect I will see more stuff on the bottom as it continues to settle.

I have a spare aquarium / pond pump I was thinking of creating a filter sock on the end of the outlet and letting it run in the pool to polish the water. It pumps about 3700gph so I could turn over the water in the pool about 4 times in 24hours.

Well I am not quite sure short of a slime bag. I might try the nylon stocking idea with some felt sandwiched between.

I can't say for sure that the particulate is blowing by the filter but I think it really never makes it to the surface to skim off, at least not effectively.

I read about a hack where you connect your regular pool vac like you normally would except you turn it upside down in the center of the pool so it acts like a main drain on an inground pool. Pulling water into the filter from lower in the pool. I might try this as well.

I've read on the forum that filter bags from Duda Diesel work just as well as slime bags and are much cheaper. The recommendation I saw on the forum was to use 1 micron.

filter bag | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store

Yesterday I had a green pool from dirt being washed into the pool. Like you I had no FC loss so it was not algae. The DE filter handled it but I was going to use the DD bags if it didn't.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've read on the forum that filter bags from Duda Diesel work just as well as slime bags and are much cheaper. The recommendation I saw on the forum was to use 1 micron.

filter bag | Duda Diesel Alternative Energy, Chemicals & Industrial Supply Store

Yesterday I had a green pool from dirt being washed into the pool. Like you I had no FC loss so it was not algae. The DE filter handled it but I was going to use the DD bags if it didn't.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for that info. I searched for DIY slimebag and found this article - How I De-Slimed My Pool

They used those same filters. They have an adapter to fit the filters on a pump which would work with my pond pump. I can have a DIY water polisher for about $25 bucks. Just might have to try it. I have the vac running again now.

Any chance this is a situation where floc might actually be useful? I don't know much about the stuff, but if it collected those particles into larger clumps, that would be a useful function. Although I have a vague recollection that floc may be bad for certain filter types... ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.