Frustrated and need advice on build issues

Sep 30, 2014
Daphne, AL
I don't want this post to come across like I am bashing our PB, b/c they have gone out of their way to fix all of the problems they have encountered....but we have experienced issue after issue on our build.

First they didn't spray the gunite at the depths/form that we discussed during the pool layout. The PB had them reshoot the gunite to get it correctly without any hesitation.

Then they did our flagstone rock around the spa and started at the front with a very natural design....but by the time they got back around to where they started they had started cutting straight lines and had a very geometric pattern that looked like a jack-o-lantern or something. Take my word....it looked really bad. Again, they came out and busted out the rock and replaced without much complaint.

Well now they just did the electrical and they installed the light where it is facing our house and pointed directly at our back door. From what I have read online, and from what they discussed with us prior...you should be looking with the lights. I guess I should have paid closer attention to where they ran their conduit, but it was tough to determine what was conduit and what was plumbing....and I had just assumed that one of the holes that ended up being plumbing was actually the light.

I can't really think of an easy way to fix this without significant rework. Am I making too big of a deal out of this in my head or is the light facing right at us going to drive us nuts in the long run?

You will likely not be happy with a light shining at you. Only when it on though.
Not sure what stage of the build your in but if you don't have plaster or decking yet you can probably change it. No small job though and I'm sure you will get charged for it but it may be a now or never situation if its not too late already.
The rest is typical pb stuff. They have no formal training so mostly do what they feel like. They may start a project like tiling with enthusiasm at first being real meticulous and then get sorta bored and lose interest and try to speed things up. I've seen it over and over on my build. It's almost like letting a bunch of kids loose for free play. No real structure or obvious pecking order.
It is what it is.
Some pictures and description of pool in your signature would help.

Unfortunately decking is already down and plaster is supposed to begin tomorrow. Here is a picture of the pool prior to electrical, looking from the general direction of our back door. The spot on the back wall in the center of the curve is where they put our second light. The other is on the center of the deep end side curve.

You can also see the stone on the spa. It looks much better now.

http://s24.postimg.org/y6cd0zvjp/IMG_2103.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So every time I have posted an issue...everyone's first response is that if it was not clearly defined, I will have to pay. What is the definition of "clearly defined". I am interested b/c my PB did not put much detail on the pool drawing. Their response when I vocalized concern about the details was that it would be covered when we did the layout....which we did. So it was clearly defined...verbally. Is everyone else's PB providing detailed drawings that show all the electrical and plumping connection locations?

No. From my experience and reading other posts on here and elsewhere anything verbal will likely be lost in translation. Pbs seem to just build what they want to rather than what is discussed. You just have to stay on top of them every step along the way.
You are too far along to change now without major expense in my opinion. What type of lights will you have?
Again some pool details in your signature will help.

I'd like to give the PB the benefit of the doubt and think they just get confused if it's not clearly written down. That or they are still building the last pool and figure you wanted it the same way when it's not in black in white or they can't remember and don't think they need to clarify with the owner. There is also the problem of them clearly communicating your desires or instructions to their subs.

Not sure about the light but your pool looks great. Personally I wouldn't worry about the light. its not like its coming on automatically every night. When its on someone will be in the pool. But, I can certainly understand your concern. I agree with dumbcluck on this one as far as expense at this point.

At least they fixed the things done wrong or badly. So sad it had to be redone in the first place. I guess they hoped you would not notice. Good for you for seeing it and saying something!

Light-talk to the PB and see if he "blinks" when you tell him it needs to be moved. You never know.....he just might do the right thing if you say something.

Kim

I bought a house with a pool and the light faces the house. Doesn't bother me a bit. It isn't on that often and when it is is I don't have an issue. I understand for a more subtle look it would be better to have it face away but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

As many have mentioned with pool builders and really any contractor it must be written down or it will may not get done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't have the lights moved and you do find the light bothersome but want the effect of light in the pool for entertaining you might consider having a dimmer installed in the circuit.

Take a look at the link in my signature to see my build. First post is a drawing which clearly shows where things should go. It's not a complex or sophisticated blueprint or anything. My 8 year old can point at things on it and tell you what they are. Yet somehow I ended up with only 2 bubblers on the tanning ledge. Didn't even notice it until plaster was done. Basically, I'm fine with the 2 bubblers.. Of course I'd rather have the 3 that were originally planned, but the kids enjoy the 2 they got and I'm not going to make PB redo the whole pool to add one bubbler. What a headache. Also one of my spray jets was installed in the wrong place. Again, couldn't be fixed because it wasn't noticed until after coping. Point of the story is that most subcontractors make mistakes and if you aren't watching every step of the process, you could wind up with something you don't want. I'm also surprised you didn't at least have a drawing like mine showing where a pool light was going to be. Without specific instructions and diagrams these subcontractors seem to make things up as they go along.

I also had an addendum to my pool contract that listed all of the included equipment INCLUDING PART #'s. This made a huge difference because PB installed wrong equipment. I was supposed to get a Quad DE filter and a grid style DE filter was installed for the first few weeks. PB had to swap it out because the part # is written out on the addendum. Ultimately he had to replumb all the equipment because there wasn't enough room on the pad to just swap it with the other filter. Also my addendum specifically listed vacuum part # for Kreepy Krauly Platinum. PB tried to give me a Legend (cheaper) pushing it off as a superior cleaner. Ultimately he had to give me the Platinum because it's simply not true, and I had it in writing. Just a few examples of why you need everything in writing. Anything that is not in writing is basically a trust and honesty issue between you and PB and if you want him to incur the expense of fixing things (even if they are his own mistakes), try to calm yourself in advance before speaking to him or her.. I recommend Vodka. And if you have the guts, maybe even dwell over it for a few days. In some cases, you may realize after a couple of days that some things just aren't worth having a stroke about. :D :D :D

I also had issue after issue, but with a lot of patience and vodka, I still have my sanity. :D :D And I still have a bunch of outstanding issues too, believe it or not.

Like Zethacat did, it's best to take it for granted you WILL have a problem and get it all down on paper from the beginning. You don't want to treat the guy like he's stealing from you but you want to be clear on what your want, what you are paying for and what you expect to get.
In the end it not only covers you but should also make it easier on the other guy as it's all stuff the two of you have already agreed on and you agreed to pay for if done that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.