Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
We survived the big freeze in Tulsa last February with minimal damage...moved across town to a new house and pool and two days of cold temps have already caused problems. Freeze Protection is working for main pump and everything seems to be running well. However, the booster pump running the cleaner is covered in ice this morning. Thaw it out and see if it will run continuously from here on out (through cold temps) or drain the equipment pad and pool (below skimmer?) until it warms back up? I thought the main pump would push enough water through the system that we wouldn’t have this issue. Not so much.

No need to close the pool if your main pool pump is still moving water. The booster pump is its own thing for the cleaner. But you might go ahead and disconnect that booster line if the pump is dead to ensure the booster line(s) don't burst. You can always work on it more when it warms up.
Ok, sounds good. Where should I disconnect the booster line? Both sides of the pump?

Edited to add: I’m tenting the pad now and trying to warm things up just enough to melt the ice on the booster.

Attachments

• BEBF4094-1F6E-40F4-BD20-8ABFB9152152.jpeg
    BEBF4094-1F6E-40F4-BD20-8ABFB9152152.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 28
Looks like you had a small leak around where the ice formed. In normal operation you will just have some wetness in that area that evaporates. A worm clamp on flex pvc is not a solid leak proof connection. There are better methods.

You can’t disconnect the hoses. Defrost it and leave it until you test the pump and fix the leak.

Chances are the ice is external due to the leak and the pump is not damaged.

Pat. Won't water come out of those lines if disconnected with the main pump running?
Thanks Marty. Head in the clouds here on that one thinking it could be isolated. :brickwall: Sorry about the confusion @PaigeMark.

Reactions: PaigeMark
The ice build up looks like a leak exists there. Was there a leak there prior to the freezing conditions?

The ice build up looks like a leak exists there. Was there a leak there prior to the freezing conditions?
I didn’t notice a leak but it is a new pool (to me) and we’ve had our hands full moving so haven’t been paying that much attention to the pool equipment. Thank you all for your help! I will continue to thaw it out and keep it covered until it warms up. Hoping it really is just an external leak. I’ll be on the lookout for a leak once it warms up out there.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, flex PVC should be connected the same as rigid PVC.

Polaris booster pumps come with smaller flex PVC hoses and quick disconnect fittings. They did a hack job with a Hayward booster pump, the wrong flex PVC hoses, and worm clamps.

Reactions: PaigeMark

Polaris booster pumps come with smaller flex PVC hoses and quick disconnect fittings. They did a hack job with a Hayward booster pump, the wrong flex PVC hoses, and worm clamps.
The hack job doesn’t surprise me at all. Moving into this house, we’ve had to fix many of those and the list keeps growing. Thankfully, I can handle this fix once it warms up. I sure appreciate the information!

The ice has melted and the booster pump is running (and also dripping so there is definitely a leak). I’ll keep it going through the next few cold days and fix it when the temps rise.

Would this part do the trick? Should I leave the flex pipe? Sure appreciate all of your help!

Attachments

• 8086C36E-7545-46CB-930C-AF9CDDDB5765.jpeg
    8086C36E-7545-46CB-930C-AF9CDDDB5765.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 10
What model number pump?

It looks like you already have those unions on the pump. You just need to glue the hose to the slip joint rather then the worm clamp. The flex pvc is fine if you can get it properly glued.

What model number pump?

It looks like you already have those unions on the pump. You just need to glue the hose to the slip joint rather then the worm clamp. The flex pvc is fine if you can get it properly glued.
Thx! Model HSP 30060

I think the pump may have come with both the union that can be glued and the tapered insert that is currently being used with the clamps. The former homeowner didn’t leave the other sections of the union.

Warming up this weekend. Hope to get this fixed. Thank you for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.